[comp.sys.dec] Slow VT1200? Solved

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb12.162159.3178@pronto.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
> When I start an X-based application with its display to a VT1200, it
> takes between 30 and 60 seconds for the application to get a
> connection. I think this is extremely long.

In the VT1200, a host was configured as name server that actually
wasn't serving any names. When trying to access the name server, the
VT1200 simply waited until it timed-out after some 30-40 seconds.
Removing the name server from the VT1200 configuration solved the
problem.

The only remaining question: why does the VT1200 access the name server
when a X-client wants to connect to it? It has been configured to
accept any connect request, so it doesn't have to check names etc. for
security reasons.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv