[comp.sys.dec] Does anyone have a copy of ZORK in MDL for the PDP-10?

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (02/27/91)

I have been doing some exploration of ZORK (also known as DUNGEON) and am
looking for source code.  I know that it was translated into FORTRAN about
13 years ago, but I am looking for the source in MDL, which predates the
FORTRAN version.  If anyone knows of a copy I can FTP or a copy which can
be mailed to me, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/27/91)

In article <88888@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) writes:

>I have been doing some exploration of ZORK (also known as DUNGEON) and am
>looking for source code.  I know that it was translated into FORTRAN about
>13 years ago, but I am looking for the source in MDL, which predates the
>FORTRAN version.  If anyone knows of a copy I can FTP or a copy which can
>be mailed to me, I would be most appreciative.

Though I still have ZORK on one of my (3 remaining) DEC-20 systems, there is
no accompanying source code.

Considering that ZORK became a commercial venture of InfoCom, it's not clear
whether you'd be able to even get the MDL source code.

Suggest you get the April 1979 issue of IEEE "COMPUTER" and see pages 51-59
for the article "ZORK: A Computerized Fantasy Simulation Game" by P. David
Lebling, Marc S. Blank, and Timothy A. Anderson, (then) all from the MIT
Laboratory for Computer Science.  Those people are the founders of InfoCom.

Your best hopes for source are from MIT; the last address I have on file is:

	P. David Lebling
	Room 205
	545 Technology Square
	Cambridge  MA  01239

You may wish to scribble "ZORK", "GRUE", etc. on the envelope as a clue for
someone to open the envelope in case David is no longer there.  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]