[comp.sys.dec] using tcsh as login shell: problems with DecWindows

jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) (03/13/91)

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu.

   I have a Vaxstation II/RC running Ultrix 4.1.  Putting tcsh (via
the chsh command) as one's login shell prevents logins - when you
enter your username and password at the DIGITAL prompt, the screen
clear, and then instead of running the windows manager and all that
stuff, it goes back to the login: prompt. I have been told that it is
because the Windows stuff doesn't tell tcsh whether it is being run
interactively or not, and it tries to do terminal stuff when there is
no terminal for it. Is anyone out there using tcsh as their login
shell with DecWindows? If so, how do you get around the above problem?

			Mike Levin (mlevin@jade.tuft.edu)

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (03/13/91)

In article <76791@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) writes:
>   I have a Vaxstation II/RC running Ultrix 4.1.  Putting tcsh (via
>the chsh command) as one's login shell prevents logins - when you
>enter your username and password at the DIGITAL prompt, the screen
(etc.)

We are using tcsh on uVax II and DS5000 machines.  Just put it in /etc/shells
and in the password entry for the user.  We have had no such problems, but
we have had a problem in that users logging in to the console get csh.  It
seems that dxterm uses csh no matter what their login shell is set to.  Any
suggestions?
--scott