[comp.sys.dec] window manager under ultrix 4.1

da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) (03/09/91)

Setup:  Decstation 5000/200, Ultrix 4.1, mwm, Xtm2d.

When I start up the X server, it has a process size of approx 2.5
megs.  After I start and stop a few windowed applications, the process
size has grown to 12 Megs.  When it gets to about this size, it
thrashes each time i move a window, as I don't have hundreds of megs
of real RAM.  Something is seriously wrong in my setup I fear.  Does
anyone have any clues?

Probably unrelated, but when I start a dxterm, I get the "mwm: Invalid
icon bitmap, not depth 1" error message on my console.

Any and all help appreciated.

--david
-- David Ascher -- Lead/Sr. Systems Programmer (UNIX)
                   Computing and Information Services
                   Brown University, Providence RI 02912
    Internet:      dascher@brownvm.Brown.EDU (Internet)

ballou@databs.enet.dec.com (03/09/91)

In article <67818@brunix.UUCP>, da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) writes:
|> Setup:  Decstation 5000/200, Ultrix 4.1, mwm, Xtm2d.
|>
|> When I start up the X server, it has a process size of approx 2.5
|> megs.  After I start and stop a few windowed applications, the process
|> size has grown to 12 Megs.  When it gets to about this size, it
|> thrashes each time i move a window, as I don't have hundreds of megs
|> of real RAM.  Something is seriously wrong in my setup I fear.  Does
|> anyone have any clues?

Sounds very familiar to me :-)   If you disable save-unders, which are turned
on by default in Ultrix 4.1, you will see much better performance when using
mwm.

Here is related information on how to do this:

    Well, on my DS3100, ULTRIX 4.1 and mwm 1.1, mwm _was_ a hog until I
    figured out what was going on.  There's a bug in mwm -- it uses
    save-unders BY DEFAULT (it isn't supposed to unless you ask it to).
    The 4.1 X servers implement save unders, but (alas) not very
    effeciently (plus they aggravate a memory leak).  So, what you should
    do is tell the X server not to use save unders.  This is true for ALL
    the 4.1 X servers (Xcfb, Xtm and whatever the server for the PX board
    is).  In your /etc/ttys file, add the -su option to the line that
    starts the X server.  Mine looks like this:

    :0 "/usr/bin/login -P /usr/bin/Xprompter -C /usr/bin/dxsession -e" none
    on secure window="/usr/bin/Xcfb -bs -su"

|> Probably unrelated, but when I start a dxterm, I get the "mwm: Invalid
|> icon bitmap, not depth 1" error message on my console.

Unrelated.  I'll let someone else explain this to you - I'm wiped out.

Nat

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.171052@databs.enet.dec.com> ballou@databs.enet.dec.com writes:
> |> When I start up the X server, it has a process size of approx 2.5
> |> megs.  After I start and stop a few windowed applications, the process
> |> size has grown to 12 Megs.
>
>     Well, on my DS3100, ULTRIX 4.1 and mwm 1.1, mwm _was_ a hog until I
>     figured out what was going on.  There's a bug in mwm --

I'm running Ultrix 4.0 with tvtwm, and my X server (Xcfb) shows the
same behaviour. I once managed to get it to 32Mb in size! Since I'm
not running mwm, I'm not sure this is a mwm bug.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

spa@inesc.UUCP (salvador Pinto Abreu) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.092043.12323@pronto.mh.nl>, jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
] In article <1991Mar8.171052@databs.enet.dec.com> ballou@databs.enet.dec.com writes:
] > |> When I start up the X server, it has a process size of approx 2.5
] > |> megs.  After I start and stop a few windowed applications, the process
] > |> size has grown to 12 Megs.
] >
] >     Well, on my DS3100, ULTRIX 4.1 and mwm 1.1, mwm _was_ a hog until I
] >     figured out what was going on.  There's a bug in mwm --
] >     ...
]
] I'm running Ultrix 4.0 with tvtwm, and my X server (Xcfb) shows the
] same behaviour. I once managed to get it to 32Mb in size! Since I'm
] not running mwm, I'm not sure this is a mwm bug.
]
] 	Johan

I got this same problem on a DECstation 5000, running either the X.V11R4
Xcfbpmax or the DEC-supplied one. The problem arose the first time I
popped up some menu. With tvtwm the problem was even worse.

It's a problem with save-unders, it can be worked around by starting the
X server with the -su (no save-unders) flag. This is either in the xdm
server configuration files or (if you're using xdm) or in /etc/ttys.

After that, the X server's growth is not significant (ie. doesn't grow
to 20M as soon as I do anything).

/.salvador		spa@fct.unl.pt (posting from inesc.pt)

dano@asihub.uucp (Dan O'Neill) (03/15/91)

>I'm running Ultrix 4.0 with tvtwm, and my X server (Xcfb) shows the
>same behaviour. I once managed to get it to 32Mb in size! Since I'm
>not running mwm, I'm not sure this is a mwm bug.

This problem is documented for ULTRIX 4.0, the solution stated in the
release notes is to add the "-su" option to Xcfb or Xtm2d to turn off
the SaveUnder feature.  Try it and see if it helps.

--
Dan O'Neill     Cadence Design Systems, San Diego, CA
UUCP: {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dano     ...cadence!dano