[comp.sys.dec] Info. about HPLJ-III wanted

wjin@csunf.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (03/05/91)

Hi, there.

Our department is considering to buy two or three HPLJ-III laser
printers with PostScript option.
Before buying, we would like to know any problems related  with them.
In particular,
 1) in our department, most professors and graduate students are using TeX
    or troff. So the postscript option should not have any problem with
    dvi2ps, dvips or tr2ps,..etc.
    (We tried TI's micro Laser, but some PS files generated by dvi2ps
     could not be printed, while DEC laser printer did print.
     And the TI was unacceptably slow.)
 2) We would like them to work with postscript filters provided by SUN4.1 and
    DEC3100's Ultrix.
 3) The speed should be reasonably fast.

If the aboves are satisfactory,
 1) What is the reasonable size of memory to get appropriate speed ?
 2) There are many postscript options. Which company's Postscript option
    would you suggest ?
 3) Did you have any problem with your configuration ?

We would like to listen to ANY comments from the people who are using HPLJ-III
with PS on UNIX environment.

Thanks in advance.

Woochang Jin         Graduate Student,         Office - PGH574, PGH592
wjin@cs.uh.edu       System Administration.    Department of Computer Science
713-747-2130(home)   713-749-1748(office)      University of Houston

paolo@sixcom.sixcom.it (Paolo Crini) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar5.040647.8880@menudo.uh.edu>
wjin@csunf.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:

>Hi, there.
>
>Our department is considering to buy two or three HPLJ-III laser
>printers with PostScript option.
Hi, we istalled two LJIII last September and we use them from Sun4s and
other Unix systems,

>Before buying, we would like to know any problems related  with them.
>In particular,
> 1) in our department, most professors and graduate students are using TeX
>    or troff. So the postscript option should not have any problem with
>    dvi2ps, dvips or tr2ps,..etc.
>    (We tried TI's micro Laser, but some PS files generated by dvi2ps
>     could not be printed, while DEC laser printer did print.
>     And the TI was unacceptably slow.)
we use them with FrameMaker, LaTeX (mostly through dvi2ps) and psroff,
with no problems at all;

> 2) We would like them to work with postscript filters provided by SUN4.1 and
>    DEC3100's Ultrix.
sorry, don't know about them;

> 3) The speed should be reasonably fast.
with 3 Mb of memory, parallel connection, the speed is fast, except for
startup of dvi2ps generated files, but I think this is due do the fact
that dvi2ps generated files contain lots of font definitions (perhaps
due to a poor configuration of the filter itself);

>If the aboves are satisfactory,
> 1) What is the reasonable size of memory to get appropriate speed ?
we use 3 Mb (I think this is the minimum for postscript);

> 2) There are many postscript options. Which company's Postscript option
>    would you suggest ?
we have HP's cartridge which uses true Adobe postscript, anyway I would
suggest to ensure the postscript is from Adobe;

> 3) Did you have any problem with your configuration ?
we had some flow control problems when using the serial interface with
an X.25 PAD not supporting h/w flow control;

>We would like to listen to ANY comments from the people who are using HPLJ-III
>with PS on UNIX environment.
we actually have the LJ IIIs connected via the parallel interface
to Unix PCs on a tcp/ip network who act as print servers, we use
FrameMaker, dvi2ps, psroff, fig2dev,enscript and other filters to
produce/translate documents. The parallel interface has the advantage
that the spooler can recognize paper out, printer offline and similar
conditions and handles them in a more reliable manner.

Hope this helps,
Paolo.
--
 * Paolo Crini   | INTERNET: paolo@sixcom.it OBSOLETE: paolo@sixcom.UUCP *
 | Sixcom S.p.A. | UUCP:     {foo,bar,uunet}!mcsun!sixcom!paolo          |

paolo@sixcom.sixcom.it (Paolo Crini) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar5.04064.8880@menudo.uh.edu>
wjin@csunf.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:

>Hi, there.
>
>Our department is considering to buy two or three HPLJ-III laser
>printers with PostScript option.
Hi, we istalled two LJIII last September and we use them from Sun4s and
other Unix systems,

>Before buying, we would like to know any problems related  with them.
>In particular,
> 1) in our department, most professors and graduate students are using TeX
>    or troff. So the postscript option should not have any problem with
>    dvi2ps, dvips or tr2ps,..etc.
>    (We tried TI's micro Laser, but some PS files generated by dvi2ps
>     could not be printed, while DEC laser printer did print.
>     And the TI was unacceptably slow.)
we use them with FrameMaker, LaTeX (mostly through dvi2ps) and psroff,
with no problems at all;

> 2) We would like them to work with postscript filters provided by SUN4.1 and
>    DEC3100's Ultrix.
sorry, don't know about them;

> 3) The speed should be reasonably fast.
with 3 Mb of memory, parallel connection, the speed is fast, except for
startup of dvi2ps generated files, but I think this is due do the fact
that dvi2ps generated files contain lots of font definitions (perhaps
due to a poor configuration of the filter itself);

>If the aboves are satisfactory,
> 1) What is the reasonable size of memory to get appropriate speed ?
we use 3 Mb (I think this is the minimum for postscript);

> 2) There are many postscript options. Which company's Postscript option
>    would you suggest ?
we have HP's cartridge which uses true Adobe postscript, anyway I would
suggest to ensure the postscript is from Adobe;

> 3) Did you have any problem with your configuration ?
we had some flow control problems when using the serial interface with
an X.25 PAD not supporting h/w flow control;

>We would like to listen to ANY comments from the people who are using HPLJ-III
>with PS on UNIX environment.
we actually have the LJ IIIs connected via the parallel interface
to Unix PCs on a tcp/ip network who act as print servers, we use
FrameMaker, dvi2ps, psroff, fig2dev,enscript and other filters to
produce/translate documents. The parallel interface has the advantage
that the spooler can recognize paper out, printer offline and similar
conditions and handles them in a more reliable manner.

Hope this helps,
Paolo.
--
 * Paolo Crini   | INTERNET: paolo@sixcom.it OBSOLETE: paolo@sixcom.UUCP *
 | Sixcom S.p.A. | UUCP:     {foo,bar,uunet}!mcsun!sixcom!paolo          |
 * Milano-Italy  | Voice:  +39 (2) 3192.403,   Fax:  +39 (2) 33603112    *

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (03/17/91)

I haven't put it to use yet, but I got a Pacific Data postscript cartridge for
a HP LJIIID.

I originally ordered an HP cartridge, but decided that being able to switch
between PCL and Postscript via software commands was too important - some of
the software I use doesn't support Postscript, and the HP cartridge requires
restarting the printer to use PCL.  This is not a solution in a network
environment.