[comp.sys.dec] Capacity of BA123 enclosure

co@etek.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) (03/15/91)

We have a Vaxstation II/GPX with BA123 enclosure, a TK50 and two
RD54's.

The manual maintains the enclosure is capable to hold four 5.25"
full height drives, but I think the enclosure is capable to hold
five units. One in the place most commonly used by the RX50 and four
units at the right side.

My question:

Is it possible to put a normal full-height unit into the RX50-hole
in left?

Fotnot: We are planning to equip the machine with a 1Gb winchester and
an Exabyte tapedrive. It's an advantage if both units can be held in
the BA123 enclosure.

/Christer Olsson

Christer Olsson      I MedNet               I Phone: day:   +46+31-853760
Kaggeledsgatan 11    I Medicinaregatan 7b   I        night: +46+31-843740
S-416 74  Gothenburg I S-400 33  Gothenburg I Email: co@adagio.fy.chalmers.se
          Sweden     I           Sweden     I SUNET: MEDNT2::C_OLSSON

--

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.130841.18830@etek.chalmers.se>, co@etek.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) writes:

> We have a Vaxstation II/GPX with BA123 enclosure, a TK50 and two
> RD54's.
>
> The manual maintains the enclosure is capable to hold four 5.25"
> full height drives, but I think the enclosure is capable to hold
> five units. One in the place most commonly used by the RX50 and four
> units at the right side.

	There is indeed space to hold 5 full height 5.25" things.
	On the panel under the front door there are four places
	to put the ready/write-protect switch for the RD disks.
	I've seen (an unsupported configuration by the way) four
	RD54s and a TK50 in the BA123.  Turning the system on was
	an interesting experience for the lurking fear the power
	supplies wouldn't be able to handle the load.

	Assuming you can get all the interesting cables from the
	drives to the cardcage area, the only thing you have to
	worry about is power.  Oh, and RF emission...

> My question:
>
> Is it possible to put a normal full-height unit into the RX50-hole
> in left?

	I'd only put something in there that didn't use much
	power.  If you put a disk check with the vendor to make
	sure nothing happens to it when laying on it's side.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

co@etek.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) (03/18/91)

In article <2739@shodha.enet.dec.com> alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.130841.18830@etek.chalmers.se>, co@etek.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) writes:
>>

>	There is indeed space to hold 5 full height 5.25" things.
>	On the panel under the front door there are four places
>	to put the ready/write-protect switch for the RD disks.
>	I've seen (an unsupported configuration by the way) four
>	RD54s and a TK50 in the BA123.  Turning the system on was
>	an interesting experience for the lurking fear the power
>	supplies wouldn't be able to handle the load.

I think the BA123's 460W power supply is capable to handle the load of
the Exabyte (15W) I plan to put in the left cage.

>> Is it possible to put a normal full-height unit into the RX50-hole
>> in left?
>
>	I'd only put something in there that didn't use much
>	power.  If you put a disk check with the vendor to make
>	sure nothing happens to it when laying on it's side.

Most 5.25" full height drives needs 25W each. 2 RD54's, 1 Wren VII, 1
TK50 and one Exabyte 8200 shouldn't be more than 110-120 W.

(The machine is a Vaxstation II/GPX)