[comp.sys.dec] LAT printers

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (03/14/91)

Greetings:

Has anyone seen this?...

We have a couple of printers (an ln03 and an lg01) hooked to a terminal
server in a terminal area. The printers work fine when used from the VMS
machines that know about them. They *usually* work fine when used from
the ULTRIX machine (an 8810, ultrix 4.1). However, occasionally, print
jobs from the ultrix machine sort of hang on the printer, and start printing
over and over and over and ...

I believe I have everything set up properly, but would appreciate any ideas
anyone has on what might be causing this.

-Mike

bnrmtl@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Larry Dunkelman) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar13.204348.4978@hubcap.clemson.edu>, hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:

|> .....  They *usually* work fine when used from
|> the ULTRIX machine (an 8810, ultrix 4.1). However, occasionally, print
|> jobs from the ultrix machine sort of hang on the printer, and start printing
|> over and over and over and ...

We had the same problem (but with ULTRIX 4.0).  The release notes actually
mention this BUG and suggest a work around (which didn't work for me).  I tried
adding the following to the printcap entry:

:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:

and the problem has gone away.

Larry.

bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu (Bill Roth) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar13.204348.4978@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:

>Greetings:
>
>Has anyone seen this?...

We see this all too frequently...and have no other solution than to
run lpr restart all every now and then.

Bill Roth,  University of Wisconsin Physical Sciences Laboratory
email: bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu bill@wiscpsl.bitnet   /  (608)-873-6651