[comp.sys.dec] Problems with 1Gb drives and VMS 4.7?

co@etek.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) (03/15/91)

I've heard some rumours that VMS 4.7 and some Qbus SCSI-controllers
has problems with large SCSI-drives (1 Gb or larger).

Can anyone confirm, deny or explain?

/Christer Olsson

--
Christer Olsson      I MedNet               I Phone: day:   +46+31-853760
Kaggeledsgatan 11    I Medicinaregatan 7b   I        night: +46+31-843740

hardin@mavplus3.rtp.dg.com (Paul Hardin) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.131300.18910@etek.chalmers.se>, co@etek.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) writes:

|> I've heard some rumours that VMS 4.7 and some Qbus SCSI-controllers
|> has problems with large SCSI-drives (1 Gb or larger).
|>
|> Can anyone confirm, deny or explain?

	The problem is that data can potentially be lost, with drives
	of formatted capacity greater than 1.073742 GBytes!

	There's a front-page article on this in the March 4, 1991 edition
	of "Digital News".  According to the article, it affects all Ultrix
	releases, and VMS releases up to 5.4.

	Paul

--
	Speaking purely for myself...

.---------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Paul Hardin  				hardin@dg-rtp.dg.com	      |
|Data General Corp., RTP NC		{world}!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!hardin |

In article <1991Mar18.171629.29960@dg-rtp.dg.com> hardin@mavplus3.rtp.dg.com (Paul Hardin) writes:
>	The problem is that data can potentially be lost, with drives
>	of formatted capacity greater than 1.073742 GBytes!

	Depends on a) how you calculate Gig (if K=1024, M=K*K, G=K*M), then
it's 1.0 Gig exactly (blocks 0 - $1fffff), b) logical block size.  The
1Gig limit is for 512 byte logical blocks (probably the most common).  For
1K logical blocks, it would be 2 Gig, etc.

	BTW, once I heard this I checked the commodore scsi drivers, and we
have the same problem (the biggest drive we had checked was ~9xx Mb).  Our
drivers (A590/A2091/A3000) do use 10-byte read/writes, but only if the
transfer size is > 256 blocks.  We're fixing this, of course.  At least we're
in good company (Dec, both Ultrix and VMS).  1/2 :-)

	Anyone playing with >1Gig drives should either use >512 byte blocks
(under 2.0 FS - don't forget to format the drive using the scsidirect
interface for 1K logical blocks) or just not use that area until they get
the fix (37.79 or better for A3000's).

	I wonder how many other people will be bitten by it.  Anyone know
about Apple, nExt, Sun?

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/23/91)

In article <20048@cbmvax.commodore.com>,
jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

> I wonder how many other people will be bitten by it.
> Anyone know about Apple, nExt, Sun?

GVP's FaaastROM SCSI driver handles this (all revisions).

Ralph