[comp.sys.dec] DS-5000/CX colors look strange

pan@prowest.propress.com (03/28/91)

I have a DECstation-5000/CX.  In running the trivial Motif demos like cedit, I
noticed that the colors displayed don't very well match my own perception of
what that colorname represents.  Now, I know that color representation is a
very personal thing, but I would still expect the colors on the DECstation to
be more true, if not perfect.

Just to make sure it wasn't me, I tried running cedit on the Tektronix XP27
that I use, and there the colors looked *much* better.  Now, I'm not shocked
that Tek did a good job with colors, but I am somewhat displeased with the
quality of the colors on the DECstation.

Is this a problem unique to my box?  Has anyone else noticed that the colors on
the DS-5000/CX are rather poor?

Opionions?  Comments?  DEC?

Philip A. Naecker                Consulting Software Engineer
Internet: pan@propress.com       1010 East Union Street, Suite 101
          uunet!prowest!pan      Pasadena, CA  91106-1756
Voice:    +1 818 577 4820        FAX: +1 818 577 0073

Also:     Technology Editor, DEC Professional Magazine
          VAX Professional Magazine Review Board Member

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (03/29/91)

In article <8664.27f0d7a5@prowest.propress.com> pan@prowest.propress.com writes:
>I have a DECstation-5000/CX.  In running the trivial Motif demos like cedit, I
>noticed that the colors displayed don't very well match my own perception of
>what that colorname represents.  Now, I know that color representation is a
>very personal thing, but I would still expect the colors on the DECstation to
>be more true, if not perfect.

Get a copy of the MIT rgb.txt file and replace the DEC one with it.  You'll
like the colors much better.

To replace the rgb.txt file, do the following as root:

   # cd /usr/lib/X11
   # mv rgb.txt rgb.txt.dec
   # cp mit-rgb-txt rgb.txt
   # ./rgb rgb <rgb.txt

You'll either have to restart the X server or reboot the system to get the
new colors to take effect.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu