[comp.sys.dec] Monitor program - latest version?

tyers@rhea.trl.oz (P Tyers) (04/04/91)

My apologies for posting this rather than mailing the author, but I can't
find an email address for him.

What is the current version of the "monitor" program for ultrix systems
available by anonymous ftp from decwrl.com. More critically has a version
supporting V4.x RISC ultrix been produced yet? I have a version ftp'd
about 3 months ago but this supports only V3.x VAX and RISC. I'd modify
it but obviously significant changes have occurred in the header files
between V3 and V4 Ultrix (or between V3 VAX Ultrix and the V4 RISC Ultrix
headers I have). NB the host name may not be decwrl but something like
gateway.dec.com.

Thanks in advance

P Tyers, Tel. +61-(0)3-5416794   JANET tyers%trl.oz.au@uk.ac.ucl.cs
ACSnet 	tyers@trl.oz   UUCP {uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!tyers
CSnet	tyers@trl.oz.au   ARPAnet tyers%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net HAM:  VK3KTS
MAIL: Telecom Research Laboratories,P.O. Box 249,Clayton,VICTORIA 3168,AUSTRALIA

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (04/04/91)

	alan@nabeth.dec.com

> What is the current version of the "monitor" program for ultrix systems
> available by anonymous ftp from decwrl.com.

	It's either Monitor V1.2 or V1.3, probably dated around
	November.

> More critically has a version supporting V4.x RISC ultrix been produced
> yet? I have a version ftp'd about 3 months ago but this supports only
> V3.x VAX and RISC.

	Take careful notes.  There are two versions of monitor
	on DECWRL (gatekeeper.dec.com), one is the an compressed
	tar archive of the full distribution (V3.x and V2.2 only).
	The other is a compressed archive of sources suitable for
	V4.x (and V3.x).  The V4.x source archive is monitor_v4src.tar.Z.
	You probably have the full distribution without the updated
	sources (monitor.tar.Z).

	There are a couple of small bugs in that version, but nothing
	too signifcant (of which I know).

	I am working on a new version numbered V1.3 that will either
	be dated March 4th or late April.  It will have fixes for
	the bugs I've found and will display reserved page/swap on
	the swap screen.  It will have also updated manual pages for
	monitor, some sample data filter and assorted tools.  The
	example suite of tools and filters has been updated.  In
	fact about the only thing hasn't changed is the documention.
	(Anybody got a tech writer I can borrow for a couple of weeks)?

> NB the host name may not be decwrl but something like gateway.dec.com.

	gatekeeper.dec.com.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

tyers@rhea.trl.oz (P Tyers) (04/04/91)

Please ignore my previous posting on this matter. On examining the the
inventory of files held on gatekeeper.dec.com I found that a later
version than the one I had ftp'd existed. My apologies for cluttering up
net bandwidth.