[comp.sys.dec] KFQSA uses DU driver?

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (04/05/91)

I see here in my DEC Systems and Options catalog when reading about
the KFQSA controller that it ..."uses the name Storage System Port (SSP)
used by the RQDX3 and KDA50 controllers, and is supported by existing
device drivers acros all 32-bit operating systems".  Do I take this
to mean that it doesn't use the standard DSSI device drivers found in
the embedded DSSI controller based MicroVAX's/VAX4000 (DI I think) but
uses the DU driver instead?  If so, then it would then mean I could use
one of these with a KA630 SPU and it's ROM-resident VMB program would
think this was just another DU device and boot from it?

Thanks.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Michael F. Santangelo                 + Inet: mike@uc780.umd.edu
VMS / UNIX Systems                    +       mike@socrates.umd.edu
Academic Computing UMUC               + Bnet: MIKE@UC780
(The University of Maryland,          +       MIKE@UMUC (not visited often)
 University College)                  +<Your clever net-phrase here>

mcintosh@decus.com.au (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr4.160803.1159@ni.umd.edu>, mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) writes:
> I see here in my DEC Systems and Options catalog when reading about
> the KFQSA controller that it ..."uses the name Storage System Port (SSP)
> used by the RQDX3 and KDA50 controllers, and is supported by existing
> device drivers acros all 32-bit operating systems".  Do I take this
> to mean that it doesn't use the standard DSSI device drivers found in
> the embedded DSSI controller based MicroVAX's/VAX4000 (DI I think) but
> uses the DU driver instead?  If so, then it would then mean I could use
> one of these with a KA630 SPU and it's ROM-resident VMB program would
> think this was just another DU device and boot from it?

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure you could.

On a VAX 3800 (which uses the KFQSA) the disks appear as DUAn at the console.
*After* VMS boots it renames the disks to DIAn.

Robert McIntosh		mcintosh@decus.com.au
Australia Post