[comp.sys.dec] Vax Hacks

cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (04/04/91)

WANTED:  Vax Hacks

I've collected a number of useful VMS lore and trivia over the years -
useful ways to do things, undocumented logicals, unsupported utilities, etc
that make life much easier on the Vax.  For example:

  Creating a process has a fair amount of overhead...especally when all
  you want to do is grab a small file from another node.  One way to
  speed things up is to keep a NETSERVER process around longer than the
  default timeout period of 5 minutes of inactivity.  By defining the
  logical netserver$timeout to a string containing a relative time,
  netserver processes will be retained for the amount of time specified.

I'd like to collect as many of these useful hacks as possible into a
"cookbook" file which would be organized and then made available to the
net.  If you have an interesting hack, lore on undocumented features
or utilities, an interesting way to solve a common problem, or even
quick and dirty programs, please forward them to me via mail.  All
contributions will be credited in the final document.

Thanks
  Charles Smith
  cts@dragon.uucp
  {backbone}!gatech!emory!dragon!cts

Matthews@Fwva.Saic.Com (Cameron H. Matthews | SAIC | CPD | MS 42 | Room 2161 | 619535-7161) (04/09/91)

cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) writes:
>WANTED:  Vax Hacks
>
>I've collected a number of useful VMS lore and trivia over the years -
>useful ways to do things, undocumented logicals, unsupported utilities, etc
>that make life much easier on the Vax.  For example:
>
>  Creating a process has a fair amount of overhead...especally when all
>  you want to do is grab a small file from another node.  One way to
>  speed things up is to keep a NETSERVER process around longer than the
>  default timeout period of 5 minutes of inactivity.  By defining the
>  logical netserver$timeout to a string containing a relative time,
>  netserver processes will be retained for the amount of time specified.
>
>I'd like to collect as many of these useful hacks as possible into a
>"cookbook" file which would be organized and then made available to the
>net.  If you have an interesting hack, lore on undocumented features
>or utilities, an interesting way to solve a common problem, or even
>quick and dirty programs, please forward them to me via mail.  All
>contributions will be credited in the final document.
>
>Thanks
>  Charles Smith
>  cts@dragon.uucp
>  {backbone}!gatech!emory!dragon!cts

I probably shouldn't be saying this ( and he may not appreciate it )
but if you want the definitive list of these, talk to Jym Dyer
( who is lurking out there in netland ).  Back when I was at DEC,
Jym was the moderator of the infamous HACKERS notesfile.  There
were some *UNSPEAKABLE* hacks in there, many of which never saw
the light of day in the external world ( thank goodness!! ).
Some of the hottest engineers from various DEC teams contributed
their favorites.  Until, that is, someone realized the inherent
danger involved ( I think this was post-Dyer days ) and the postings
became merely sanitized versions of pre-approved content.  Too bad ;-{
Oh well, it was incredibly fun while it lasted.

Cheers,

| Cameron H. Matthews                                              |
| Science Applications International Corporation                   |
| Systems Engineering, Head FlagWaver                              |
| La Jolla, Ca.                                                    |
| Addresses:                                                       |
|   SPAN/Hepnet : {FWVA,FWVC,FWVF,CHM0,MVB}::MATTHEWS              |
|                 {28130,28132,28139,28177,28158}::MATTHEWS        |
|   Internet    : matthews@<one_of_the_above_nodes>.saic.com       |
|   Sneakernet  : Bunker Delta, Silo 2, 2nd hallway, Cell #4       |