[comp.sys.dec] Noisy DECstation 3100 RZ56 Disk

nrw@harem.clydeunix.com (N. Ray Wilkes) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr3.040610.28745@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, levanon@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jacob Levanon) writes:
>     We have several DECstation 3100 with RZ24, RZ55 & RZ56 drives.   Since the
> time we received the machines, we have claimed that the drives are too noisy.
> DEC was willing to replace the drives once, however only the RZ24 replacement
> worked. The new RZ24 is absolutely quite, while the RZ55 and RZ56 drives are
> still very noisy (especially the RZ55).  At this point, our local DEC
> engineers claim that this "must be a normal noise" and they are not aware of
> similar noise problems elsewhere...  Our claim is that if DEC considers such
> level of noise "normal", it must be that they never designed these drives for
> an office environment...
>     I am trying to collect any evidence available to prove that this IS a known
> problem and it was treated elsewhere (I recall reading about it somewhere,
> before we had our DECstations).  I would appreciate any input on this issue.

We have a DECstation 3100 with an RZ56 disk and are also experiencing a
high noise level from the disk.  However, we have not informed DEC of
the problem as yet.  We have the feeling the the spindle is rubbing
against something, possibly the disk enclosure???  Maybe we should get
the local DEC engineers involved.

N. Ray Wilkes                                    RAXCO, Inc.
Software Engineering Manager                     371 E. 800 S.
EMAIL:  ...!{ctnews, uiunix}!unislc!harem!nrw    Orem, Utah 84058
FAX:    (801) 225-7684                           TEL:  (801) 224-5306