[comp.sys.dec] DEC RDxx

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.055810.1249@spcvxb.spc.edu>, terry@spcvxb.spc.edu
(Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) writes:
> In article <1991Apr15.190345.5198@ni.umd.edu>, mike@UC780.UMD.EDU
(Mike Santangelo) writes:

> > Well, the DEC RQDX3 uses MFM & ST506 connections ...
> > These are really just off-she-shelf ST506 hard disks

>   The RD54 is a modified Maxtor XT-2190, the 53 is a modified Micropolis
> 1325, the 52 is either a Quantum Q540 or an Atasi 3046, but _never_ an
> Evotek 5540 [That's an in joke], and the 51 is an ST-412.

And let's not forget the `32, a Seagate ST251[-1], which does
not appear to be modified.

BTW, we recently had trouble replacing RD54s in VS2000 systems.
A 3rd party sold us some XT2190s; some worked and some did not.
Strangely enough, we received two drives with sequential serial
numbers, of which one works and one does not -- bizarre!

The vendor sez that Maxtor sez the modified XT2190s were overrun
and got randomly distributed -- you're lucky if you stumble on
the modified ones.  Anyway, this vendor is the first we've had
these problems with.  They can't deliver any more drives guaranteed
to be RD54 compatible.

Anyone know the real scoop on the RD54?

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (04/17/91)

In article <14280@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:
> BTW, we recently had trouble replacing RD54s in VS2000 systems.
> A 3rd party sold us some XT2190s; some worked and some did not.
> Strangely enough, we received two drives with sequential serial
> numbers, of which one works and one does not -- bizarre!
>
> The vendor sez that Maxtor sez the modified XT2190s were overrun
> and got randomly distributed -- you're lucky if you stumble on
> the modified ones.  Anyway, this vendor is the first we've had
> these problems with.  They can't deliver any more drives guaranteed
> to be RD54 compatible.

  The modified XT-2190's (XT-2190 D) has a lower current surge on startup and
acoustic damping on the positioner. I believe the logic boards are identical.

  Your problem could be a number of things, including jumper settings on the
drive, defects on critical sectors, or formatter problems. I've had maybe 20
2190's over the last few years, all of which have formatted fine for DEC use.
I'm using the PDP-11 formatter for an RQDX3. It seems you're using TEST XX
on a MV2000, which may be different.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (04/17/91)

In article <14280@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:

| The vendor sez that Maxtor sez the modified XT2190s were overrun
| and got randomly distributed -- you're lucky if you stumble on
| the modified ones.  Anyway, this vendor is the first we've had
| these problems with.  They can't deliver any more drives guaranteed
| to be RD54 compatible.

	And (though probably nobody cares) I have Q540s that will not
work as RD52s so perhaps they are modified as well....  (The Q540s
are of a slightly higher rev than that of RD52s so maybe it is an
accident.)

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*