[comp.sys.dec] hard drives for q-bus

kpjone01@ulkyvx.bitnet (04/11/91)

Is there any way to hook a standard rll or mfm hard drive up to a Q-bus
machine?

Kevin
kpjone01@ulkyvx.bitnet

kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.114144.79@ulkyvx.bitnet> kpjone01@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:
>Is there any way to hook a standard rll or mfm hard drive up to a Q-bus
>machine?

Yes. Buy a Q-Bus controller which will accept RLL or MFM drives.
Emulex and Dilog have them. (Are they ST506 drives?)

P.S. Have you had a chance to check out the disk packs yet?

Chris Kalisiak
V076N3W7@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr11.114144.79@ulkyvx.bitnet>, kpjone01@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:
>Is there any way to hook a standard rll or mfm hard drive up to a Q-bus
>machine?
>
>Kevin
>kpjone01@ulkyvx.bitnet

Well, the DEC RQDX3 uses MFM & ST506 connections, but the drive types
for 2 drives (RD53 and RD54, dunno about RD52) are hardcoded in ROM
on the board.  These are really just off-she-shelf ST506 hard disks
from QUANTUM and MAXTOR (well, DEC tweaked the motor power control on
one I beleive to let it ramp up to speed more slowly to ease the power
supply).

One thing you do have to realize though is that MFM/RLL( and thus
I presume you mean ST506 drives) are going to be ALOT SLOWER than
more recent technologies (ESDI, SCSI) or well-established high
performance interfaces (SMD, IPI).  The ST506 interface can only
go so fast, the best I have seen it do is 500KB/sec which is miserable
for a multiuser system.  If you can ESDI or SCSI drives, by far all
the better.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Michael F. Santangelo                 + Inet: mike@uc780.umd.edu
VMS / UNIX Systems                    +       mike@socrates.umd.edu
Academic Computing UMUC               + Bnet: MIKE@UC780
(The University of Maryland,          +       MIKE@UMUC (not visited often)
 University College)                  +<Your clever net-phrase here>

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.190345.5198@ni.umd.edu>, mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) writes:

> Well, the DEC RQDX3 uses MFM & ST506 connections, but the drive types
> for 2 drives (RD53 and RD54, dunno about RD52) are hardcoded in ROM
> on the board.  These are really just off-she-shelf ST506 hard disks
> from QUANTUM and MAXTOR (well, DEC tweaked the motor power control on
> one I beleive to let it ramp up to speed more slowly to ease the power
> supply).

  Just to set the record straight - the RQDX3 writes the drive geometry
information to the disk when it is first formatted. After that, the disk-
resident copy is used. The RQDX3 can support user-defined geometries as
well, but you need to be _very_ familiar with the way DEC does MSCP.

  The RD54 is a modified Maxtor XT-2190, the 53 is a modified Micropolis
1325, the 52 is either a Quantum Q540 or an Atasi 3046, but _never_ an
Evotek 5540 [That's an in joke], and the 51 is an ST-412.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.055810.1249@spcvxb.spc.edu>, terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) writes:
>In article <1991Apr15.190345.5198@ni.umd.edu>, mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) writes:
>
>> Well, the DEC RQDX3 uses MFM & ST506 connections, but the drive types
>> for 2 drives (RD53 and RD54, dunno about RD52) are hardcoded in ROM
>> on the board.  These are really just off-she-shelf ST506 hard disks
>> from QUANTUM and MAXTOR (well, DEC tweaked the motor power control on
>> one I beleive to let it ramp up to speed more slowly to ease the power
>> supply).
>
>  Just to set the record straight - the RQDX3 writes the drive geometry
>information to the disk when it is first formatted. After that, the disk-
>resident copy is used. The RQDX3 can support user-defined geometries as
>well, but you need to be _very_ familiar with the way DEC does MSCP.

I stand corrected.  Now, do you or anybody you know - know of a utility
that could write this info given simply #heads and #cylinders?