[comp.sys.dec] Rqdx3/ba123

shawn@eddie.mit.edu (Shawn F. Mckay) (03/21/91)

Howdy. I am having some trouble getting an RXDQ3 working with two RD53's,
in a BA123 using the dispatch board in slot 13 (CD).

It never seems to find the drives:
?40 NOSUCHDEV
?06 .....

Sometimes I get (I tried dub1 just "in case"):
?41 DEVASSIGN, DUB1

I have both the Tech Manual, and the MicroF, and neither seems
to cover a few important points:
a)	The signal distribution board (M9058) has some jumpers,
	which have no documentation, (I'm told they "matter" but
	no one seems to recall why or how).
b)	The RXDQ3 itself is not "keyed", so its unclear which way
	the cable is supposted to go, (In fact, an educated guess
	as to which was can be made by the way the board seems to
	have been meant to key, but the cable was never keyed, so
	its unclear if this is 100% reliable).
c)	The jumpers on the RQDX3 itself seem easy, is there any magic
	on should know about?

We have looked through the manuals, the configuration we are using
is "legal" according to it, but its awful unclear which is not my
usually feeling from DEC manuals, can anyone out there offer some
assistance in this matter?

					Thanks,
					  -- Shawn

p.s.
We run ESDI controllers just fine :-)

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar20.163530.6435@eddie.mit.edu>, shawn@eddie.mit.edu (Shawn F. Mckay) writes:

> Howdy. I am having some trouble getting an RXDQ3 working with two RD53's,
> in a BA123 using the dispatch board in slot 13 (CD).
>
> It never seems to find the drives:
> ?40 NOSUCHDEV
> ?06 .....
>
> Sometimes I get (I tried dub1 just "in case"):
> ?41 DEVASSIGN, DUB1
>
> I have both the Tech Manual, and the MicroF, and neither seems
> to cover a few important points:
> a)	The signal distribution board (M9058) has some jumpers,
> 	which have no documentation, (I'm told they "matter" but
> 	no one seems to recall why or how).
Never seen any documentation on this matter, always used factory settings.

> b)	The RXDQ3 itself is not "keyed", so its unclear which way
> 	the cable is supposted to go, (In fact, an educated guess
> 	as to which was can be made by the way the board seems to
> 	have been meant to key, but the cable was never keyed, so
> 	its unclear if this is 100% reliable).
It doesn't matter which way you insert the cable as long as you don't twist it
between the RQDX3 and the board on slot 13.

> c)	The jumpers on the RQDX3 itself seem easy, is there any magic
> 	on should know about?
Just make sure they are at the proper CSR address.

--
Javier Henderson
Engineering Services

henderson@hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson

shawn@eddie.mit.edu (Shawn F. Mckay) (04/17/91)

Howdy. I am having some trouble getting an RQDX3 working with two RD53's,
in a BA123 using the dispatch board in slot 13 (AB or CD).

It never seems to find the drives:
?40 NOSUCHDEV
?06 .....

Sometimes I get (I tried dub1 just "in case"):
?41 DEVASSIGN, DUB1

I have both the Tech Manual, and the MicroF, and neither seems
to cover a few important points:
a)	The signal distribution board (M9058) has some jumpers,
	which have no documentation, (I'm told they "matter" but
	no one seems to recall why or how).

b)	By advice and example keeping the cable untwisted seems
	to work between the dist board and Rqdx3, what about the
	cables between the dist board and the displays in front,
	the cable between the dist board and the lights have 4
	heads, which is drive 0?

c)	The jumpers on the RQDX3 itself SEEM easy, is there any magic
	one should know about? The setup NEVER seems to work, we have
	a bunch of Rqdx3's here, KNOWN good, (they work in BA23 boxes),
	so do the RD53's we use. Why is the BA123 such a pain to get
	working?

We have looked through the manuals, the configuration we are using
is "legal" according to it, but its awful unclear, which is not my
usually feeling from DEC manuals, can anyone out there offer some
assistance in this matter?

					Thanks,
					  -- Shawn

p.s.
We run ESDI controllers in our ba123's just fine :-)

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr17.035213.29724@eddie.mit.edu>, shawn@eddie.mit.edu (Shawn F. Mckay) writes:
>Howdy. I am having some trouble getting an RQDX3 working with two RD53's,
>in a BA123 using the dispatch board in slot 13 (AB or CD).
>
>It never seems to find the drives:
>?40 NOSUCHDEV
>?06 .....
>
>Sometimes I get (I tried dub1 just "in case"):
>?41 DEVASSIGN, DUB1
>
>I have both the Tech Manual, and the MicroF, and neither seems
>to cover a few important points:
>a)	The signal distribution board (M9058) has some jumpers,
>	which have no documentation, (I'm told they "matter" but
>	no one seems to recall why or how).
>
>b)	By advice and example keeping the cable untwisted seems
>	to work between the dist board and Rqdx3, what about the
>	cables between the dist board and the displays in front,
>	the cable between the dist board and the lights have 4
>	heads, which is drive 0?
>
>c)	The jumpers on the RQDX3 itself SEEM easy, is there any magic
>	one should know about? The setup NEVER seems to work, we have
>	a bunch of Rqdx3's here, KNOWN good, (they work in BA23 boxes),
>	so do the RD53's we use. Why is the BA123 such a pain to get
>	working?
>
>We have looked through the manuals, the configuration we are using
>is "legal" according to it, but its awful unclear, which is not my
>usually feeling from DEC manuals, can anyone out there offer some
>assistance in this matter?
>
>					Thanks,
>					  -- Shawn
>
>p.s.
>We run ESDI controllers in our ba123's just fine :-)

Have you tried verifying the CSR address?  This is set by a bank
of jumpers "A2 - A12".  If you hold the card so that the edge-connector
is on your left and the component side facing you, A2-A12 runs verticle
and is relatively close to the edge-connector.  A2 is at the top.

                                                1 1 1
[A]                             2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2

Primary Addr (772150, "DUA")    O I O I I O O O I O I
Secondary Addr (776150, "DUB")  I I I O I I O O O O O

I is jumper-installed, O is jumper out.
Michael F. Santangelo                 + Inet: mike@uc780.umd.edu
VMS / UNIX Systems                    +       mike@socrates.umd.edu
Academic Computing UMUC               + Bnet: MIKE@UC780
(The University of Maryland,          +       MIKE@UMUC (not visited often)
 University College)                  +<Your clever net-phrase here>