[comp.sys.dec] Can one put standard Q-Bus memory in the PMI bus of an 11/84?

kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) (04/25/91)

I have come to the realization that I need more memory for my 11/84...
I just got done doing a SYSGEN of RSX-11M/PLUS V4.2, with DECNet-11M/PLUS,
and DECMail-11, and 128kb cache.

This leaves me with about 200kb of 1mb memory for programs...

I have a couple standard Q-Bus MSV11-L, MSV11-P memories which I would
like to use in my 11/84, but I don't know if anything detrimental
will happen.

Can I use the -L and -P memories (I don't feel like buying any -J or -Q
memories. :-( ) in the 11/84? Will it slow the system down any by
using non-PMI memory?

BTW, if anyone has any 11/84 memory which they would be willing to
sell cheaply, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris Kalisiak
V076N3W7@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (04/26/91)

In article <72943@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> I have a couple standard Q-Bus MSV11-L, MSV11-P memories which I would
> like to use in my 11/84, but I don't know if anything detrimental
> will happen.

  You can use old-style memories in an 11/83, which works but introduces a
large performance hit. You have to make sure the memories have no connection
(not even bus grant, but power is ok) on the CD side.

  I believe this will _NOT_ work in an 11/84. The memory slots are on the
"wrong side" of the CPU, and while the CPU may see the memory, the hardware
on the Unibus side probably won't be able to DMA into there.

> BTW, if anyone has any 11/84 memory which they would be willing to
> sell cheaply, please let me know.

  The older MSV11-Jn boards worked _only_ in 84's, due to a design problem
in one of the gate arrays. You should be able to pick one up for a pretty
low price.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (04/27/91)

In article <72943@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> I have a couple standard Q-Bus MSV11-L, MSV11-P memories which I would
> like to use in my 11/84, but I don't know if anything detrimental
> will happen.
>
> Can I use the -L and -P memories (I don't feel like buying any -J or -Q
> memories. :-( ) in the 11/84? Will it slow the system down any by
> using non-PMI memory?

Sorry. The Q-bus doesn't do much in the 11/84. You can't put memory on it.

Roger Ivie
slsw2@cc.usu.edu

kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr26.191350.47574@cc.usu.edu> slsw2@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In article <72943@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
>> I have a couple standard Q-Bus MSV11-L, MSV11-P memories which I would
>> like to use in my 11/84, but I don't know if anything detrimental
>> will happen.
>>
>> Can I use the -L and -P memories (I don't feel like buying any -J or -Q
>> memories. :-( ) in the 11/84? Will it slow the system down any by
>> using non-PMI memory?
>
>Sorry. The Q-bus doesn't do much in the 11/84. You can't put memory on it.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying.
The 11/84 has a Q-Bus CPU, which is the same as the 11/83. Therefore,
one should be able to put Q-Bus memories in it, albiet with some reduction
in speed.
Also, what do you mean by "you can't put memory on it"? Of course you can!
If you couldn't, the 11/84 would probably not have sold very well...

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (04/29/91)

In article <73510@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> The 11/84 has a Q-Bus CPU, which is the same as the 11/83. Therefore,
> one should be able to put Q-Bus memories in it, albiet with some reduction
> in speed.

  The dedicated memory slots in the 84 should be identical to the CD slots
in a BA23/BA123, but may very well be dedicated to PMI memory. While the
CPU certainly generates all the Q-bus signals, they may not all be wired to
the memory slots.

  Further (as I mentioned earlier) the bus converter card certainly doesn't
know what to do with non-PMI memory - when you try to DMA into non-PMI mem-
ory it will generate a PMI cycle which your boards will miss.

  I still think you ought to grab an old 84-only MSV11-J board. They can be
had for a few hundred dollars and it's an easier, supported, solution.

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (04/30/91)

In article <73510@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> In article <1991Apr26.191350.47574@cc.usu.edu> slsw2@cc.usu.edu writes:
>>In article <72943@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
>>> I have a couple standard Q-Bus MSV11-L, MSV11-P memories which I would
>>> like to use in my 11/84, but I don't know if anything detrimental
>>> will happen.
>>>
>>> Can I use the -L and -P memories (I don't feel like buying any -J or -Q
>>> memories. :-( ) in the 11/84? Will it slow the system down any by
>>> using non-PMI memory?
>>
>>Sorry. The Q-bus doesn't do much in the 11/84. You can't put memory on it.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying.
> The 11/84 has a Q-Bus CPU, which is the same as the 11/83. Therefore,
> one should be able to put Q-Bus memories in it, albiet with some reduction
> in speed.
> Also, what do you mean by "you can't put memory on it"? Of course you can!
> If you couldn't, the 11/84 would probably not have sold very well...

Well, the 11/84 kind of has a QBus CPU. With the UNIBUS adapter installed in
the 11/84, the QBus doesn't do anything other than transmit addresses across the
PMI. I've tried plugging QBus things into the 11/84; it don't work. The
UNIBUS adapter asserts a signal on the CD interconnect that tells the
processor it's not a QBus machine anymore.

Besides, even if QBus memory did work in the 11/84, the UNIBUS couldn't talk
to it.

Roger Ivie
slsw2@cc.usu.edu