[comp.sys.dec] Have tape drives. Need help.

maxwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (john h maxwell) (05/11/91)

Hello fellow net readers,
    I have never posted to any newsgroup before, but I need some help with
some old equipment and I don't know where to turn. ANY information I get
will be _greatly_ appreciated.
        ...here goes...
    I have a couple of (don't laugh) TE-16 9-track tape drives and have no
manuals/prints/whatever for them. One is drive 0 and has a formatter (?)
unit which I believe controls slave units in the chain, the other is unit 1
and leads me to believe that these machines worked together at least in some
manner in the past.
    Does anybody have any knowledge, manuals, service guides, schematics,
advice, hints, etc. to help me get these silly units (or at least one)
going? What type of Unibus interface do I need?
    Many thanks in advance,
        John Maxwell
    maxwell@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
    v100mzj4@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (05/12/91)

In article <75998@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, maxwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (john h maxwell) writes:
>     I have a couple of (don't laugh) TE-16 9-track tape drives and have no
> manuals/prints/whatever for them. One is drive 0 and has a formatter (?)
> unit which I believe controls slave units in the chain, the other is unit 1
> and leads me to believe that these machines worked together at least in some
> manner in the past.

  I believe those are "Massbus" tape drives. If so, they'd use either an RH11
controller (in non-11/70 Unibus systems) or an RH70 (in an 11/70). The RH11
comes in a dedicated 9-slot backplane for insertion in a BA11 expansion box;
the RH70 goes in dedicated slots in the 11/70 backplane.

  If you'd like to know more, send direct mail.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381