[comp.sys.dec] RAxx drive problems...

kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) (05/13/91)

Hello all,

	I have procured an RA81 for use on my PDP-11/84 (the same one I
am attempting to expand the memory on) and am having problems with the
configuration.

	A) I ran complete diagnostics on the RA81 and it works fine.

	B) I have not run diagnostics on the UDA50 (because I don't know
what the XXDP diagnostic name is for it) but the lights blink in series
when idle, and the lights blink off|on|off|blinking when being talked to
by the CPU. I know the UDA50 is set up at the correct address because the
system sees the controller at 172150.

	C) I have the UDA50 in the second- and third-last slots with the last
slot containing a G7273 card. These slots have the CA1-CB1 jumper removed
(ok, so it's a switch setting).

I have tried every combination of timing (0ms, 6.2ms, 10ms), plugging the
'A' and 'B' SDI cables in a couple different combinations of 0-3 on the
dist. panel (sometimes both at once, other times one at a time) with both 'A'
and 'B' buttons depressed, and making sure that the SDI cable is properly
seated in the UDA50 with no luck.

	Here is the question. Why is it that no matter what I try, the system
will _not_ see the drive? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Kalisiak
kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (05/14/91)

In article <76180@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> 	A) I ran complete diagnostics on the RA81 and it works fine.

  Drive-based diagnostics (from drive front panel or RS-232 port), or host-
based diagnostics like ZUDxxx?

> 	B) I have not run diagnostics on the UDA50 (because I don't know
> what the XXDP diagnostic name is for it) but the lights blink in series
> when idle, and the lights blink off|on|off|blinking when being talked to
> by the CPU. I know the UDA50 is set up at the correct address because the
> system sees the controller at 172150.

  The first pattern ("runway") comes from a controller that passed it's power-
up tests, but hasn't been talked to by the host CPU yet. The second pattern
(4/5, "idle") comes up after the controller has been initialized by the host.

> I have tried every combination of timing (0ms, 6.2ms, 10ms), plugging the
> 'A' and 'B' SDI cables in a couple different combinations of 0-3 on the
> dist. panel (sometimes both at once, other times one at a time) with both 'A'
> and 'B' buttons depressed, and making sure that the SDI cable is properly
> seated in the UDA50 with no luck.

  Timing doesn't matter for this, and should be set at the default (T4-T5, if
my memory is right). You need a _single_ cable from the drive's A port to the
controller's 0 port for the "normal" configuration. Actually, either A or B
in any of 0-3 is fine, but you can't have both cables going to the same host.
You should only have the port button for the active cable in, the other port
button should be out.

> 	Here is the question. Why is it that no matter what I try, the system
> will _not_ see the drive? Any suggestions?

  Do you ever get a port button to light up? If not, the drive was never sel-
ected by the host CPU.

  Try doing a BOOT of DU0 (or whatever unit number you have) from the 11/84
ROM - look for the drive's port light. If that works, you have an operating
system configuration problem. What operating system do you have, and what
version is it?

  Last, check the unit number plug to make sure it is firmly seated, and has
a number less than 16 programmed (ignore the sticker with the number on it;
take the plug out and see what pins are snapped off - it's a power-of-2 code.
Many 11 operating systems only support units 0-15 on UDA's (some may want to
see 0-3).

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381