[comp.sys.dec] Help: Compiling CAP6.0

dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) (05/08/91)

I am trying to compile CAP60 (which I picked up from munnari.oz.au) on
a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1.  I am compiling CAP to use Ethertalk
rather than IPTalk.  Looking into my problems a little bit I notice some
things.

First, it looks as is my system does not have all of the RPC distribution.
Specifically, there is no /lib/librpc.lib and no rpcgen!

I would like to hear from people who have installed CAP60 on DECstation
3100's under Ultrix 4.0 or 4.1, especially those who use Ethertalk rather
than IPTalk.

I also would like to hear from people who have a working distribution of RPC
properly installed on the above platform so I can find out what I need to do
to get past this hurdle. (E.g., can I just install RPCSRC 4.0 from any
Internet archive site that has it?  Are there any conflicts with other
software or DEC modifications that I need to be aware of?)

Thanks in advance.
--
Dave Dittrich
dittrich@u.washington.edu     ...!uw-beaver!u.washington.edu!dittrich

mogul@pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.154008.2112@milton.u.washington.edu> dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) writes:
>I am trying to compile CAP60 (which I picked up from munnari.oz.au) on
>a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1.  I am compiling CAP to use Ethertalk
>rather than IPTalk.  Looking into my problems a little bit I notice some
>things.

I'm afraid that I can't help you directly, since we don't have any
Ethertalk systems here to test.  However, Mike Iglesias tells me that
he got CAP60 running on his Ultrix 4.1 system.  You might try contacting
him (iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu).

However, I am looking for people to test my code that lets CAP use
the Ultrix packet filter (instead of Ultrix DLI).  Mike tells me that
this makes one of his tests run about 14 times faster.  Please send
me email and I'll send you the new source modules; once I get a reasonably
warm feeling about them, I'll send them to the CAP developers and hope
that they make it into the next CAP release.

-Jeff

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.005807.3501@pa.dec.com> mogul@pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
>I'm afraid that I can't help you directly, since we don't have any
>Ethertalk systems here to test.  However, Mike Iglesias tells me that
>he got CAP60 running on his Ultrix 4.1 system.  You might try contacting
>him (iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu).

As I remember, I didn't have to do anything special to get it working using
the Ultrix DLI.  I asked for UAB when I ran Configure, did the make,
installed it, created the bridge_desc file, and away it went (after a
couple of fixed typos, and getting things started in the right order).
We already had CAP running on other systems (Suns) here.

>However, I am looking for people to test my code that lets CAP use
>the Ultrix packet filter (instead of Ultrix DLI).  Mike tells me that
>this makes one of his tests run about 14 times faster.  Please send
>me email and I'll send you the new source modules; once I get a reasonably
>warm feeling about them, I'll send them to the CAP developers and hope
>that they make it into the next CAP release.

Yes, it really did run that much faster.  My test was to copy a file
(~200k) from a Mac to my DECstation 5000's local disk.  With Jeff's
packetfilter mods, it was about as fast as our Sun Sparc 2 CAP server,
which is running Rutgers CAP.  CAP+Ultrix DLI took 71 seconds,
CAP+Ultrix pfilt took 5.  I was suprised by the difference, so I ran
the test several times to make sure.  I was running the following
CAP daemons:  uab, atis, aufs.

I'm no Mac/CAP/whatever-talk expert, so I may not be able to answer
some questions about CAP and Ultrix, but I will try.

Mike

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.154008.2112@milton.u.washington.edu> dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) writes:
>I also would like to hear from people who have a working distribution of RPC
>properly installed on the above platform so I can find out what I need to do
>to get past this hurdle. (E.g., can I just install RPCSRC 4.0 from any
>Internet archive site that has it?  Are there any conflicts with other
>software or DEC modifications that I need to be aware of?)

You can use the RPCSRC 4.0 stuff - I used it to make the rstat daemon
work under Ultrix.  The xdr_float.c module will not compile correctly
on RISC systems, but you can use the one that was posted to comp.unix.ultrix
a while back to replace it.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

mogul@pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (05/14/91)

It turns out that there is yet one more bug in the packet filter
support in Ultrix 4.1 (the bug is not present in 4.0 or 4.2), which
makes it impossible to send packets via the packet filter.  (You get an
error message like "Address family not supported", I think.)  This
doesn't affect receive-only programs such as tcpdump, but CAP needs to
send packets.

The Customer Support Center does have a patch for this.  Ask for the
"net_common.o patch."  It is supposedly part of the kernel patches tar
file which is available from the CSC.

-Jeff