[comp.sys.dec] A VR299 monitor with a magical cover! WHY?

jarvis@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jarvis Jacobs) (05/17/91)

Greetings:

SETUP:    We have a VR299 monitor connected to a DEC station 5200.

PROBLEM:  The VR299 monitor seems to fail on several occasions.
          The monitor is completely dark and blank, e.g. no cursor.

TRIED SOLUTIONS:

          1] Turning the VR299 monitor off.
          2] Resetting the CPU.
          3] Combination of 1 and 2.

          4] Degaussing*
          5] Changing the intensity (brightness)*

THE SOLUTION:

          We have found that removing the VR299 monitor's
          plastic cover reactives the monitor.  This solution has
          worked every time.  It worked again today.  We had a
          power outage. This solution has worked on two different
          VR299 monitors.

WHY:      Could you give me a scientific reason
          why the DEC's plastic cover affects the  VR299 operation?

DEC magic!
  Take out your the magical screw driver to get your VR299 back

                                               jarvis

                  --
      ----               If you fly too high,               ____ \ / ____
    <  o  |     you can't see the flowers on the ground    |    \ 0 /    |

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (05/18/91)

In article <6150@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, jarvis@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jarvis Jacobs) writes:

> PROBLEM:  The VR299 monitor seems to fail on several occasions.
>           The monitor is completely dark and blank, e.g. no cursor.
>
> THE SOLUTION:
>
>           We have found that removing the VR299 monitor's plastic
>	    cover reactives the monitor.

	This is just a guess of course.

	Perhaps the monitor is overheating and there is a temperature
	sensor that's turning it off.  By taking the cover off the
	heat dissipates and the sensor turns everything back on.

	Another possibility is that the cover is constricting some
	component or causing a short circuit.  Taking the cover off
	removes the problem.

	The problem does sound suspiciously mechanical.

> WHY:      Could you give me a scientific reason
>           why the DEC's plastic cover affects the  VR299 operation?

	Apply the laws of thermodynamics...

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com