[comp.sys.dec] Diskless workstation with RZ23 question

fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu (05/17/91)

Hi - another ULTRIX 4.1 question for some one with diskless client experience.
We have RZ23 (104 MB) internal disks in the "diskless" clients, which are
DECstation 3100's.  They are assigned as /dev/rrz7, and upon loading the
system theese were assigned with partition B as swap.  But how do I set
the rest of the disk as usable disk space?  There is no partition table on
the disk, and when we add one using chpt -a it shows up with 204 MB total
disk space!  Any ideas why?  If I only want to use a 32 MB swap partition
(the workstations have 16 MB of memory) then how do I use the rest of the
disk as useful space for files?  One major problem is that I keep getting
a BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG error.  It also says USE -b OPTION
TO FSCK TO SPECIFY LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED
INFORMATION.

Doug Smith
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The University of Toledo
Toledo, OH  43606-3390

voice    419-537-2116
fax      419-537-4033
email    FAX0236@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.172326.3558@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
> Hi - another ULTRIX 4.1 question for some one with diskless client experience.
> We have RZ23 (104 MB) internal disks in the "diskless" clients, which are
> DECstation 3100's.  They are assigned as /dev/rrz7, and upon loading the
> system theese were assigned with partition B as swap.  But how do I set
> the rest of the disk as usable disk space?  There is no partition table on
> the disk, and when we add one using chpt -a it shows up with 204 MB total
> disk space!  Any ideas why?  If I only want to use a 32 MB swap partition
> (the workstations have 16 MB of memory) then how do I use the rest of the
> disk as useful space for files?  One major problem is that I keep getting
> a BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG error.  It also says USE -b OPTION
> TO FSCK TO SPECIFY LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED
> INFORMATION.

	My first though was that you didn't have UFS support included
	in the configuration.  On second thought this is unlikely since
	you're using the local disk for page/swap.

	As for the space are you sure you've got an RZ23 and not an
	RZ24?  What does the system say about the disk when it boots?

	Finally, if you want to put file systems on the remaining
	partitions you'll have to do that yourself.  The messages
	you're getting from fsck(8) are the normal for a partition
	lacking a file system.

	For a DECstation 32 MB of page/swap space seems too small.
	X and DECwindows things tend to use a lot.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com