[comp.sys.dec] TCP/IP to DECNET software/hardware needed

peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) (05/13/91)

Does anybody know about the software/hardware package that would link
386 PC with ISC2.2 runing TCP/IP and VAX/VMS running DECNET.
I need is to be able to run rtools (rsh, rlogin, rcp...) and telnet
to and from the VAX.
The most desirable solution (I think) would be some kind of network card
that could be plugged into a PC and a UNIX software that would gateway DECNET
to TCP/IP.
I found a Racal Interlan product in ISC compatibility listings but they
do not sell it any more.
YOUR opinions, company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
(please use mail: peter@modtor, and I will post a summary)
--
Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc,snitor}.UUCP
Toronto, Ont.  +1 (416) {H:625-1684, W:496-8510, Fax:496-8524}

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/14/91)

peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:
>Does anybody know about the software/hardware package that would link
>386 PC with ISC2.2 runing TCP/IP and VAX/VMS running DECNET.

There's a company near me called Technology Concepts (Sudbury, Massachusetts)
which sells such software.  Try calling them to see if they support
your configuration; I worked for them briefly on a DOS version of this
product (called CommUnity), which has reached the end of its lifespan
but they still support Unix and the Mac.  I've forgotten their number
but you should be able to get it out of AT&T.

-rich

kph@cisco.com (Kevin Paul Herbert) (05/15/91)

Have you considered running TCP/IP on your VAX/VMS system? I have heard good things about Multinet from TGV, although I haven't personally run it yet. They are in Santa Cruz, CA.

Kevin

dale@interlan.Interlan.COM (Dale B) (05/15/91)

>Does anybody know about the software/hardware package that would link
>386 PC with ISC2.2 runing TCP/IP and VAX/VMS running DECNET.
>I need is to be able to run rtools (rsh, rlogin, rcp...) and telnet
>to and from the VAX.
>The most desirable solution (I think) would be some kind of network card
>that could be plugged into a PC and a UNIX software that would gateway DECNET
>to TCP/IP.
>I found a Racal Interlan product in ISC compatibility listings but they
>do not sell it any more.
>YOUR opinions, company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
>(please use mail: peter@modtor, and I will post a summary)
>--
>Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc,snitor}.UUCP
>Toronto, Ont.  +1 (416) {H:625-1684, W:496-8510, Fax:496-8524}

As usual I can't seem to get a valid email address to a .UUCP address.
Anyway, the DECNET stack that we are compatable with is the CommUnity product
from a company that used to be named TCI or Technology Concepts Inc.  They
have changed their name, but I believe they still sell CommUnity Streams.
Their phone number is (508)443-7311.  I have tested their stack with the
NI6510 & ES3210 drivers, but it may have taken some fudging to get it up.
Drop me an email at dale@interlan.com to try to get an email path worked out.
Dale

basien@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Tillmann A. Basien) (05/22/91)

peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:

>Does anybody know about the software/hardware package that would link
>386 PC with ISC2.2 runing TCP/IP and VAX/VMS running DECNET.
>I need is to be able to run rtools (rsh, rlogin, rcp...) and telnet
>to and from the VAX.
>The most desirable solution (I think) would be some kind of network card
>that could be plugged into a PC and a UNIX software that would gateway DECNET
>to TCP/IP.
>I found a Racal Interlan product in ISC compatibility listings but they
>do not sell it any more.
Mounth ago I posted the same question.
Today I think the only proper solution of this problem is to install a
TCP/IP on VAX (like VMS/Ultix Connaction)

But it's right, there are still some companies how have special products:
Meridian, PO BOX 2006,St. Loius, MO 03011
Recal Interlan, 155 Swanson Road,Boxboroug,MA 01719,+1 508 263 9929
Syntax, +1 206 833 2525
TGV,+1 408 427 4366
Wollongong,Minervatraat 4,B-1930 Zaventem,Belgium,+32 2 725 4910

Please, feel free to email me.

Tillmann

--
					             basien@PEM-Stuttgart.de
Dipl.-Ing. Tillmann A. Basien           PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft