[net.news.group] Temporary discussions

grady@cad.UUCP (Steven Grady) (02/21/86)

     It seems a lot of the problem is not so much the posting  of
articles to inappropriate  newsgroups, which could  be solved  by
creating a new newsgroup,  but the short life  span such a  group
would have if it were created.   Perhaps what is needed is a  set
of newsgroups, perhaps net.temp.*  or just temp.*, which  existed
for the sole purpose of redirecting a temporary surge of articles
from an inappropriate  newsgroup.  Thus  if there were  obviously
some interest  in a  new,  not-directly-related subject,  say  at
least 10 articles  posted, the powers-that-be  and their  friends
(who presumably  monitor  a  large number  of  newsgroups)  could
create a temp  newsgroup and  suggest everyone post  there.   The
expiration date could be made  fairly short, but if there  seemed
to be a continuation  of the newsgroup for  an unusual amount  of
time, a new newsgroup could be created.  No one would have reason
to complain,  because  those  who  think it  should  be  a  real,
permanent newsgroup  will definitely  have their  claims  (goals,
hopes, aspirations,  whatever) verified  or contradicted  by  the
volume in the group after, say, one month.

     I haven't  given much  thought  to this  idea (seeing  as  I
thought of it very recently), but offhand, it seems as though all
the problems (and  there were vast  numbers of annoyances,  great
and small) caused  by New  Coke, net.bizarre,  net.sources.amiga,
copyrights and PD,  challenger vs columbia,  etc etc, would  have
been avoided by judicious creation of temp newsgroups (temp.coke,
temp.bizarre, etc.).

     Thoughts, flames, complements?

	Steven
	...!ucbvax!grady
	grady@ingres.berkeley.edu

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (02/22/86)

One could always, when posting an article which they think will create a
limited flurry of discussion, direct followups to net.test, or even
junk!
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, gatech, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@eddie.mit.edu

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (02/23/86)

In article <54@cad.UUCP> grady@cad.UUCP (Steven Grady) writes:

>                              ... Perhaps what is needed is a  set
> of newsgroups, perhaps net.temp.*  or just temp.*, which  existed
> for the sole purpose of redirecting a temporary surge of articles
> from an inappropriate  newsgroup....
>                                      ... No one would have reason
> to complain,  because  those  who  think it  should  be  a  real,
> permanent newsgroup  will definitely  have their  claims  (goals,
> hopes, aspirations,  whatever) verified  or contradicted  by  the
> volume in the group after, say, one month.

I think this is a great idea!  So much political bru-ha-ha has
developed around creating new newsgroups that a convention for
``temporary'' newsgroups would resolve the problem from both sides, in
addition to providing public demonstrations of the need or lack of it
by such groups.

An expected objection here is the addition of work this adds to
the News Administrator, who must rememeber to remove the temp
newsgroups after a conventional amount of time (say 3 months),
but the work there is trivial, and I'm sure a 'rmgroup' would
circulate as the time called for it.

I think Steven mentioned a time limit of 1 month.  I think this
is too short and recommend 3 months.  By the end of that much
time the newsgroup would have either established its need for
perminanace or fulfilled the needs of its readers/supporters
for the time being.

[ This sort of design echos Alvin Toffler's concept of
  "ad-hocracy" -- establishing political/administrative groups
  on an as-needed basis, then disposing of them when they are done.
  I think this is *exactly* what is to be expected in societies
  where technology makes such relatively rapid change convienient. ]

My suggestion for the name of such groups is net.tmp.* (mimicking
the standard Unix /tmp file system name).
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

Inferior people should not be employed.

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (02/23/86)

My suspicion is that the existence of "temporary" groups would
encourage more "junk" postings on random topics.  Many persons
might think to themselves, "Gee, now that we have TEMPORARY groups,
I can send in lots of junk and nobody can complain that I'm
clogging up the main groups."  But of course the temporary groups
would still be taking up transmission and reading time, and would
probably find themselves being frequently renewed instead of being
allowed to die gracefully when their time is up.  Overall, it sounds
to me like the temporary groups could actually increase the overall "noise"
level on the net, rather than reduce it.  Personal opinion, of course.

--Lauren--

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/26/86)

Steven Grady proposed the concept of temporary newsgroups.
His article's References line connected it to the discussion of
net.sources.d.  I'm in favor of his proposal, but I think that
net.sources.d should be considered a separate issue (and I'm in favor
of that proposal too).

Supposing that temporary newsgroups are to be created, there remains
the question of what to call them.  I think a new distribution is the
most logical; now that we have "net" and "mod", distributions don't
necessarily have to reflect geography but can also classify types of
groups.  But unfortunately, the history of "mod" also shows us that
setting up a new distribution requires hgetting past a lot of net inertia
and consequently it takes a long time before everybody that really wants
the distribution receives it.

Therefore I do not favor "temp.*", though I would like to.

But now consider.  If we call the temporary groups "net.temp.*",
Steven's other proposal, then the creation of a parent group
"net.temp" is implied.  It would be nice if the parent group had
its own purpose.  Well, what would that be?  Obviously, for discussions
too short-lived for even a temporary group.

And what does that sound like?  Right, "net.misc".

Which leads to another possibility: that temporary groups could
take the form "net.misc.*".  There is even a precedent for this.

Well, to me, "net.tmp.wombat"* seems a lot more suggestive than
"net.misc.wombat"; but, on the other hand, "net.misc" still seems
more suggestive than "net.temp" for the parent; but if we retain
"net.misc" and add "net.temp", we have two groups of like purpose.

I'm not sure how to resolve this; maybe we can find a hair to split
that will distinguish the two groups "net.misc" and "net.temp".
Anyway, I'm suggesting that comments on this should be mailed to
ucbvax!grady, the proposer, along with your votes on the overall idea.

Don't mail to me on this.
Mark Brader
*I prefer "tmp" to "temp", for obvious reasons.