[comp.sys.dec] PDP 11/34 Information

dougr@meaddata.com (Doug Ritter) (05/16/91)

Greetings DECoids!

I recently purchased a PDP11/34, w/ 256kb memory, and two RK05
disks (not sure what else, I haven't picked it up yet).  I plan
to run RT-11 on it and program in MACRO-11, for now at least.

I'm not hardware oriented (How many programmers does it take to
change a light bulb?  Can't be done, it's hardware), so I'll be
learning as I go.  What I'd like to do is get a version of Unix,
with source, that I could run on the 11.  Is there anyone out
there who has experience with this type of configuration?  A real
old version of Unix would be fine, and probably preferable.
How much disk space would I need for, say, a version of SYS 7?
What kind of disks can I hang off an 11/34?  ANY information
would be appreciated, like I say, I'm a programmer! :-)

Oh yeah, almost forgot, can I get TECO for RT-11?  I love TECO,
haven't used it in years, but I still haven't found an editor
that even comes close to it, IMHO!
Douglas N. Ritter                      Hoch und stiel leben!
dougr@meaddata.com
..!uunet!meaddata!dougr             No, I'm not speaking for MDC!

dougr@meaddata.com (Doug Ritter) (05/17/91)

In article <4362@meaddata.meaddata.com>, I wrote:

>I recently purchased a PDP11/34, w/ 256kb memory, and two RK05
>disks (not sure what else, I haven't picked it up yet).  I plan

[stuff deleted]

>learning as I go.  What I'd like to do is get a version of Unix,
>with source, that I could run on the 11.  Is there anyone out
>there who has experience with this type of configuration?  A real
>old version of Unix would be fine, and probably preferable.
>How much disk space would I need for, say, a version of SYS 7?
                                                         ^^^^^^
Obviously I meant Sys III.  Sorry.  I have a hardcopy listing of
Sys III Level 6, from 1976 that was distributed free of charge
for educational purposes.  It runs on an 11/40 w/ 2 RK05s, an
LP11 printer, PC11 paper tape reader/punch, and a KL11 terminal
interface.

To further clarify my request, is there a PUBLIC DOMAIN version of
Unix or a Unix look-alike (similar to MINIX (not free, but only what,
$75?) for the PC) for 11s that is available through DECUS or other
LEGAL means?  I have NO INTENTION of pirating software, thank you
very much.

Also, I got my 11/34 for $100 (US).  Not bad, eh?  Of COURSE I
WANTED a newer/bigger system, but the price was right!

Geez, I didn't think I'd get flamed in here!

bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) (05/23/91)

In <4362@meaddata.meaddata.com> dougr@meaddata.com (Doug Ritter) writes:

>Greetings DECoids!

>I recently purchased a PDP11/34, w/ 256kb memory, and two RK05
>disks (not sure what else, I haven't picked it up yet).  I plan
>to run RT-11 on it and program in MACRO-11, for now at least.

>I'm not hardware oriented (How many programmers does it take to
>change a light bulb?  Can't be done, it's hardware), so I'll be
>learning as I go.  What I'd like to do is get a version of Unix,
>with source, that I could run on the 11.  Is there anyone out
>there who has experience with this type of configuration?  A real
>old version of Unix would be fine, and probably preferable.
>How much disk space would I need for, say, a version of SYS 7?
>What kind of disks can I hang off an 11/34?  ANY information
>would be appreciated, like I say, I'm a programmer! :-)

Hmmm, you can hand almost any kind of disks on an 11/34. For MASSBUS
disks, you'll need a massbus interface. All Unibus controllers
can be used right away. (I think)
Recommend you get something bigger than RK05. They are only 3.5Mbyte
a piece.

>Oh yeah, almost forgot, can I get TECO for RT-11?  I love TECO,
>haven't used it in years, but I still haven't found an editor
>that even comes close to it, IMHO!

Yes, TECO-11 is available for RT-11. It should actually be on the
RT-11 distribution I think.

We have an 11/34 with RSX-11M running here.
It has 1 meg of memory, one RL01, one RL02 and one RM03.
One DH-11 (16 terminal ports). Great fun...
By "we", I mean the computer club in Uppsala, Update.

	Johnny

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (05/25/91)

on 23 May 91 00:28:03 GMT,
bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) said:

	[...]

x> We have an 11/34 with RSX-11M running here.
x> It has 1 meg of memory,

1Meg??? Are you sure it's an 11/34? I once ran such a beast (actually
an 11/34a) and as far as I remember, having an 18-bit UNIBUS, it would
only address 256Kb.

x>			   one RL01, one RL02 and one RM03.
x> One DH-11 (16 terminal ports). Great fun...

Agreed!

x> By "we", I mean the computer club in Uppsala, Update.

x> 	Johnny

--
-- Salvador Pinto Abreu		spa@fct.unl.pt
				Universidade Nova de Lisboa, PORTUGAL

hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) (05/28/91)

In article <SPA.91May24170642@alfa.fct.unl.pt> spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) writes:

>on 23 May 91 00:28:03 GMT,
>bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) said:
>
>	[...]
>
>x> We have an 11/34 with RSX-11M running here.
>x> It has 1 meg of memory,
>
>1Meg??? Are you sure it's an 11/34? I once ran such a beast (actually
>an 11/34a) and as far as I remember, having an 18-bit UNIBUS, it would
>only address 256Kb.

I believe ABLE or some other company once made an MMU/memory upgrade for
the PDP 11/34 that allowed it to go beyond the 256Kb limit.

There are also two companys that sell J11 based upgrades for the PDP-11
Unibus systems providing more speed and 11/70 style MMU for running
System 7 (?) or whatever needs seperate I/D addressing and 4 Megs of memory.

	Nissho Electronics in CA
	Quickware Engineering & Design, Inc. in Mass  (I work here.)

harry levinson
hal@world.std.com

bowles@stsci.EDU (Richard Bowles) (05/29/91)

hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) writes:

>In article <SPA.91May24170642@alfa.fct.unl.pt> spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) writes:
>>
>>1Meg??? Are you sure it's an 11/34? I once ran such a beast (actually
>>an 11/34a) and as far as I remember, having an 18-bit UNIBUS, it would
>>only address 256Kb.
>>

>I believe ABLE or some other company once made an MMU/memory upgrade for
>the PDP 11/34 that allowed it to go beyond the 256Kb limit.

Yes, ABLE did make such a beast -- I believe they sold their
older product line to a spin off, though.  By the way, if the
machine in question has the ABLE board, O/S patches were required
to make it work (RSX or RSTS if my memory is correct)

>harry levinson
>hal@world.std.com

Richard Bowles  (former ABLE employee -- but a long time ago)
bowles@stsci.edu

bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) (05/31/91)

In <SPA.91May24170642@alfa.fct.unl.pt> spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) writes:

>on 23 May 91 00:28:03 GMT,
>bqt@cia.docs.uu.se (Johnny Billquist) said:

>	[...]

>x> We have an 11/34 with RSX-11M running here.
>x> It has 1 meg of memory,

>1Meg??? Are you sure it's an 11/34? I once ran such a beast (actually
>an 11/34a) and as far as I remember, having an 18-bit UNIBUS, it would
>only address 256Kb.

Yup. Original 11/34's has 18bit Unibus, however, there was another
company, which I don't remember the name of, but it might have been
System Industries, modified 11/34 to 22bit Unibus, so we can actually
plug in 4 meg if we can fint the memory boards.
If you, or anybody is interested, I can check out which company
made the 22bit Unibus modification to the 11/34.

	Johnny