[comp.sys.dec] Backing up PC disks

idall@augean.ua.oz.au (Ian Dall) (05/29/91)

We have PC users who would like to be able to back up their PCs via
a tape drive on an Decstation running Ultrix.

The PCs are running PCSA to the VMS machines and we have DECNET on the
DecStation. Is this possible? How about if we use pc-nfs?

They can, of course, copy files to a PCSA or pc-nfs mounted partition
but that is not really the same thing.

What about some (unnamed) product which will run on the PC and talk
TCP/IP to an rmtd running on the DecStation? This last one sounds most
sanitary to me.

--
 Ian Dall           life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                              some people more severely than others.

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bill Wang) (05/30/91)

We use PCNFS and lifeline backup utility and have reasonable results
with it working with DECstations.

Bill
--
Bill Wang
US Mail = Psychology Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.150057.19651@augean.ua.OZ.AU>, idall@augean.ua.oz.au (Ian Dall) writes:
> We have PC users who would like to be able to back up their PCs via
> a tape drive on an Decstation running Ultrix.
>
> The PCs are running PCSA to the VMS machines and we have DECNET on the
> DecStation. Is this possible? How about if we use pc-nfs?

The latest copy of the "Pathworks for DOS Client Installation Guide" has a
procedure for backing up a PC disk to a server. It involves a batch job on the
server triggering a procedure on the PC while the PC is running SPAWNER.

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!{drilex|think}!wrglex!j_prigot