[comp.sys.dec] DECUS By-law change election results

killeen@spcvxb.spc.edu (Jeff Killeen) (05/30/91)

D E C U S - I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

Date:       29-May-1991 04:30pm EST
From:       Lynn Jarrett
            JARRETT
Dept:       LDEC

Subject:    Referendum Results
Doc Number: 009761

The votes have been counted and verified for the special
election.  The referendum needed a two-thirds vote for
the bylaw changes in order to pass.  The referendum, as
the figures below dictate, has failed to pass.

	Total number in Favor (YES)	6,818	(58%)
	Total number Against (NO)	4,917	(42%)
                                      -------
	Total number of valid votes:   11,735

		Lynn Jarrett
		LDEC Chair

jmi@dac.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler) (05/30/91)

I posted this up on the Notes system at DAC and recived an interesting
response:

Imagine what the vote would have been had the propoganda been distributed
fairly by both sides of the issue. I would have to give a lot of credit to the
proponents of the NO side, who were able to defeat this vote using only
alternate avenues of communication.

I hope that these alternate avenues will continue to be used to inform and keep
the DECUS interested individual involved.

Let's keep the lines of communication open!

jmi
jmi@dac.mdcbbs.com (until 6-jun-91)
ivler@mdcbbs.com (thereafter)
ivler@dcs.decus.org -or- ivler@eisner.decus.org (DECUS business only)
vaxman@qed.tcc.com (emergency if mail bounces from anywhere else)
root@gadco.com (coming soon to a mailer near you :-) )

cts@dragon.com (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (06/01/91)

> The votes have been counted and verified for the special
> election.  The referendum needed a two-thirds vote for
> the bylaw changes in order to pass.  The referendum, as
> the figures below dictate, has failed to pass.

Now that this little issue has been settled, perhaps its time for
another bylaw change - one that will allow a recall election
for the Board of Directors.

Given what I've heard about how some members of the board have
conducted themselves in this affair, and how they have refused to
discuss the issue, I am not at all certian they should continue
to (in theory) lead Decus.

Charles T. Smith, Jr.                       | "Beam me up, Scotty, there's no
cts@dragon.uucp                             |  intelligent life down here..."
gatech!emory!dragon!cts                     |