[comp.sys.dec] VAXstation 2000, monitor cable

sigfried@diku.dk (Christian Damsgaard Jensen) (05/31/91)

We are trying to make longer cables for our VAXstation 2000 monitors,
to get the noisy fan and disk into another room. Our experiments have
shown, that the video signal should be in a shielded cable. Is there
anybody out there, who could tell us the pin connections for the cable
that goes from the Vaxstation to the small box on the back of the
black/white monitor?

Christian.
Christian Damsgaard Jensen (System Administrator)   Email: sigfried@diku.dk
DIKU (Dept. Comp. Sci. Univ. Copenhagen)            Fax:   +45 31 39 02 21
Universitetsparken 1
DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark

marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) (05/31/91)

From a former team member for the vs2000 team:

"The video driver in the VS2000 is a ttl signal. THe video quality will
go down the tube after 10 Ft."

+ Dave Marra                            | TMF Engineering                     +
+ Software Validation Suites            | 37 Carlene Drive                    +
+ X Windows / Motif / VMS               | Nashua, NH 03062                    +

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.152314.9216@e2big.mko.dec.com>, marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) writes:

> From a former team member for the vs2000 team:
> "The video driver in the VS2000 is a ttl signal. THe video quality will
> go down the tube after 10 Ft."

  Well, if the 2000 uses a composite video signal (and if it uses the VR260
monitor, it does) you can use standard video technology to distribute it.
Over 5 years ago we were doing this on the then-high end video subsystems
(2048x2048x24) using standard TV studio type components. A common part was
the Apert VBB (Video Bus Buffer) which was designed to drive a few thousand
feet of coax with maybe 60 taps on it at broadcast quality. These devices
certainly handled the bandwidth of the signals we were generating. You've
seen the graphics that we did with them on TV, as well.

  In other words, you can always re-generate and re-drive the signal if
you can't get away with a vanilla extension cord.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381