[comp.sys.dec] Help!! Problem with Ultrix/LAT

HASKINS@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (Robert D. Haskins) (05/30/91)

We are running Ultrix 4.1 on a DECSystem 5400.  We have a number of HP
Laserjets connected to our Ethernet via DECserver 300s, and print to them
from our VAXes.  When we print from the Ultrix node, LAT will not release
the connection, the output file filter process goes to the T state and the
input file filter goes to the I state.   No other system can print to the
printer because of the active LAT connection.  The only way to release the
connection is to logout the DECserver port or kill the 'offil' process.
Neither DEC nor HP has been of any help in this matter.

We are using Brian Utterback's filter sets (pulled off the net) and a
printcap entry of the following:

lp21|21|wrhs2a:
     :fc#0177476:
     :fs#0000301:
     :xc#077737:
     :xs#000040:
     :sh:
     :sb:
     :ct=lat:
     :ts=LAT11:
     :op=PORT_16:
     :lf=/usr/adm/lp21err:
     :of=/usr/local/offil:
     :if=/usr/local/iffil:
     :db#1:
     :lp=/dev/tty51:
     :os=:
     :pp=/bin/pr:
     :sd=/usr/spool/lpd21:

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience setting up HP
LaserJets off of DECserver 300s under Ultrix, as we have been floundering
around with this problem for months.

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (06/04/91)

In article <91150.082859HASKINS@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> HASKINS@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (Robert D. Haskins) writes:
>We are running Ultrix 4.1 on a DECSystem 5400.  We have a number of HP
>Laserjets connected to our Ethernet via DECserver 300s, and print to them
>from our VAXes.  When we print from the Ultrix node, LAT will not release
>the connection, the output file filter process goes to the T state and the
>input file filter goes to the I state.   No other system can print to the
>printer because of the active LAT connection.  The only way to release the
>connection is to logout the DECserver port or kill the 'offil' process.
>Neither DEC nor HP has been of any help in this matter.

I finally fixed this problem (although I'm having another problem with LAT
printing that I'll post about when I get it fixed) after doing the following:

   1) Get patches for LAT from DEC.  Getting ahold of someone at Phone Support
      that knows what you're talking about is the key.  Just keep saying
      that you need all of the LAT patches for 4.1.  I've received two
      different sets of them.

   2) Set the terminal server and port as arguments to lcp when LAT is
      started at boot instead of defining them in /etc/printcap.  They
      are supposed to be equivalent but everyone I've ever talked to
      that has LAT printing working does it this way.

   3) Change the protection and group on /usr/lib/lpd.  On my 4.1 system
      it was originally

      -rwx------  1 root     system     126976 Aug 28  1990 /usr/lib/lpd

      It should be

      -rws--s--x  1 root     daemon     126976 Aug 28  1990 /usr/lib/lpd

      Even the source for lpd says so.

Hope this helps.....

--
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

"Answer that, it may be the phone." -- Anthony Wachs, TONY IN RH20 LAND