[comp.sys.dec] RX33 installation help needed

blf2v@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Barry L. Farmer) (06/05/91)

I have a MicroVax II, running VMS 5.3, to which I would like to add an RX-33 diskette
drive.  I have an RQDX-3 controller to which two RD-54s are currently
attached.  These drives are dua0 and dua1.  The installation
instructions that came with the RX-33 describe how to configure the
jumpers on the drive so that it will be drive 0 or 1, depending on
whether it is the first or second diskette drive in the system.  When
I install the drive as drive 0 and reboot the system, the Sho Device
command gives no indication that the diskette has been installed.  I
do notice that its access light comes on every time my system hard
disk (dua0) is accessed during the boot process.  The logical $floppy1
is not defined, and I cannot mount (or do anything else) to dua2.  I
also tried configuring the diskette as drive 2.  Thereafter, the Sho
Device indicates the presence of dua0, dua1 and dua2.  However, the
system disk is not properly mounted and cannot be accessed as dua0.
Setting the default to $disk1 does access the system disk.  Logical
$floppy1 is defined, but seems associated now with dua0.  For fear of
making catastrophic changes, I did not try to access dua2.
    I called DEC customer support and was told that a jumper on the
RQDX3 needs to be changed, but he did not tell me which one.  The
RQDX3 manual does not give the relevant information either.  DEC field
service will drop in and help for a mere $235 - almost the cost of the
drive.  Does anyone out there have a similar system or otherwise have
knowledge that would help me get things working.  Either insight into
the proper jumper settings or knowledge of some software glitch
in the way logicals are defined would be helpful.  Please respond to
blf2v@virginia.edu.  Thanks for you help.

Barry Farmer,
University of Virginia,
Department of Materials Science

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.141401.29280@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, blf2v@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Barry L. Farmer) writes:
> I have a MicroVax II, running VMS 5.3, to which I would like to add an RX-33 diskette
> drive.  I have an RQDX-3 controller to which two RD-54s are currently
> attached.  These drives are dua0 and dua1.  The installation
> instructions that came with the RX-33 describe how to configure the
> jumpers on the drive so that it will be drive 0 or 1, depending on
> whether it is the first or second diskette drive in the system.

  The RQDXn series of controllers will configure floppies at lower unit numbers
than fixed disks. So, you should wind up with unit 0=floppy, 1=RD54. 2=RD54.

  However, there are some complications depending on the mounting boxes in
use. If you have a BA23 box, you probably have an RQDXE disk extender and
an external RD54-Dn drive box. In that case, you may need to change jumpers
on the RQDXE extender card.

  If you have a BA123 box, you may need to change jumpers on the signal dis-
tribution board in slot 13.

  In general, your configuration should work "out of the box". I'd suggest
that you send me mail detailing your configuration and we can continue to
work this off-line.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381