[comp.sys.dec] DEC help needed

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (06/05/91)

blee@plains.NoDak.edu (Blaine Lee) writes:

>I would like some information on DECs.  The business I work for started
>operating this system for another company.

>In their infinate wisdom the purchasers 'saved money' and did not purchase a
>compiler of any type.  Is the Micro VAX line up/down wardly compatible?  ie
>could I transfer a compiled version of GNU C from another machine (not
>necesarily a 3900)?

The whole VAX/VMS line is binary compatible, from the ancient VAX
11/7xx, the lowly uVAX II & uVAX 2000 all the way to the top of the
line VAX 9000 mainframes.  That's been one of DEC's claims to fame
from the beginning of the VAX.  The only binary incompatibilities I've
run across are between major releases of VMS - occasionally they've
changed libraries and broken executables that way.  But a recompile
and relink usually fixes even that.

Enjoy your new VAX - it's a fine machine, and VMS is a solid, robust
operating system.
--
                           -  Steve Mitchell
College Park Software			steve@seabhag.cps.altadena.ca.us

marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) (06/05/91)

In article <10718@plains.NoDak.edu>, Blaine Lee writes:

>In their infinate wisdom the purchasers 'saved money' and did not purchase a
>compiler of any type.

VMS comes with a MACRO compiler, that's all.  Lots of other compilers are available.

>I would like to do this since the backup software seems to be quite pitiful.
>Is it standard to have to wait an hour and ten minutes for one tape?  If not
>what could be the problem?

Depends on what you did, the TK70 isn't the fastest tape drive in the world, but believe it or not, it's MUCH faster that the TK50...

>Also could someone give me some stats on this machine?  I am curious about
>the capicity of the drives and the tapes, also any comparison speeds of the
>processor would be appreciated!

the RA90 is about a gigabyte (thats 1Gb). and is pretty fast.  The 3900 is about 4 (or 5?) VUPS (VAX 11/780 Units of Power).  I don't remember the mips.
The TK70 holds 295 Mb of data.

+ Dave Marra                            | TMF Engineering                     +
+ Software Validation Suites            | 37 Carlene Drive                    +
+ X Windows / Motif / VMS               | Nashua, NH 03062                    +

gwlester@cpu.com (Gerald Lester) (06/05/91)

I would like some information on DECs.  The business I work for started
operating this system for another company.

The info:
  Micro VAX 3900        RA90 (disk drive)
  Vax/VMS V5.3          TK70 (uses compacTape II tapes)

> In their infinate wisdom the purchasers 'saved money' and did not purchase a
> compiler of any type.  Is the Micro VAX line up/down wardly compatible?  ie
> could I transfer a compiled version of GNU C from another machine (not
> necesarily a 3900)?

  The ENTIRE VAX line is up/down wardly compatible at the binary level. So you
  can copy whatever is legal from another machine.

> I would like to do this since the backup software seems to be quite pitiful.
> Is it standard to have to wait an hour and ten minutes for one tape?  If not
> what could be the problem?

  It ain't BACKUP its the tape. a TK70 is SLOW.

> Also could someone give me some stats on this machine?  I am curious about
> the capicity of the drives and the tapes, also any comparison speeds of the
> processor would be appreciated!

  A RA 90 holds about 1.2 GB
  A TK 70 holds 296MB
  A 3900 is 3.8 times as fast as a 780 (i.e. 3.8 VUPs, or SPECmarks)

  All information is out of the 1991 Spring/Summer DECdirect catalog.
  You might want to call either your local office or 1-800-DIGITAL and get
  put on the mailing list.  If you do, you will still have to call your local
  office to get them to make a call on you (i.e. they will not bug you).

Gerald W. Lester

martin%boot.decnet@edwards-tems.af.mil (06/06/91)

In article <10718@plains.NoDak.edu>, blee@plains.NoDak.edu (Blaine Lee) writes:

> I would like some information on DECs.  The business I work for started
> operating this system for another company.
>
> The info:
>   Micro VAX 3900		RA90 (disk drive)
>   Vax/VMS V5.3		TK70 (uses compacTape II tapes)

    [....]

> Also could someone give me some stats on this machine?  I am curious about
> the capicity of the drives and the tapes, also any comparison speeds of the
> processor would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks
> Blaine Lee
> blee@plains.nodak.edu

     MVAX 3900 Performance: 3.8 VUPS  (1 VUP = VAX 11/780 CPU Performance)
     RA90 Capacity: 1.2GB (formatted)  Peak Transfer Rate: 2.8 MB/sec
     TK70 Capacity: 296MB (formatted)  Transfer Rate (User Data): 90 KB/sec
     Time to backup a full RA90 on a TK70: approx 4 hrs (takes 4 tapes)

I'd suggest that you invest about $2,500 in a third party 8mm drive, that's
what we've done on our MVAX 3600.  It's about twice as fast as a TK70 and
has a capacity of 2.3 GBs (essentially 2 RA90s) per tape.

Gary S. Martin                !  (805)277-4509  DSN 527-4509
6510th Test Wing/TSWS         !  Martin@Edwards-TEMS.af.mil
Edwards AFB, CA 93523-5000    !