[comp.sys.dec] DECstation 3100

rwood.or.wood@gatekeeper.dec.com (Richard Wood) (03/02/89)

[The header information on this message was really bogus when I received
it.  The above is my best guess.  Also, don't ask me about ftp.  If you
need to ask, you don't have it.  Good luck.  -mod]

Digital Equipment Corporation recently introduced the DECstation 3100,
along with several other significant products.  This DECstation is the
first model in a family of RISC workstation running Digital's Ultrix
operating system.

Information is now available on the Internet on this product.

The following files are available via anonymous FTP from the node
gatekeeper.dec.com (128.45.9.52):

	  310596   ds3100_tech.ps
	  102711   ds3100_tech.ps.Z

	  536062   ds3100_perf.1a.ps
	  337888   ds3100_perf.1b.ps
	  781831   ds3100_perf.2.ps

	  135081   ds3100_perf.1a.ps.Z
	   93933   ds3100_perf.1b.ps.Z
	  207485   ds3100_perf.2.ps.Z

    (The *.Z files are compacted using the compress(1) program
    in Ultrix v3.0 and many other Unix systems.  The compress
    program uses using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding.)

The "ds3100_tech" files contain a postscript version of the
DECstation 3100 Technical Overview.

The three-part "ds3100_perf" files contains a postscript version of the
DECstation 3100 Performance Summary.

Since both of these contain significant graphics, no plaintext versions
are available.

If you cannot access the Internet, or don't have access to a PostScript
printer, ask a Digital Sales representative for a copy of the
documents.  Please don't ask me for hardcopies or direct email of the
PostScript files.

(For the salesrep's information, the first document is titled
"DECstation 3100 Technical Overview", order #EZ-J4052-28, the second is
titled "DECstation 3100 Performance Summary" and does not have an order
number.  Both were produced by Digital's Workstations Base Product
Marketing Group.)

    Note: Neither of the above documents includes order numbers or
	  detailed pricing information.

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does it need saying that I'm not speaking as an official representative of DEC?
Richard Wood  !  U. S. Worksystems, Palo Alto  !  Digital Equipment Corporation

ramesh@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nallepilli.s.ramesh) (03/16/89)

I have a basic question about the DEC station 3100 running Ultrix.
Is it possible to have multiple users logged in to the DEC 3100 via
the ethernet?  We are planning to use a bunch of PCs in our lab on a
ethernet hooked up to the DEc station 3100.  We need remote login
capability.  Two of the sales reps gave me conflicting information!
One said that two users can be simultaneously logged in, the other said
that only one (on the console ) can be logged in.  Can anybody shed some light?
We are new to the networking world, and are comparing the suitability of
DEC workstation vs. the Sun workstation.

Any help appreciated.
N. Ramesh
ATT BELL LABS, WHIPPANY, NJ
UUCP: att!harpo!ramesh
PH: 201-386-2806
Thanks

bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) (03/16/89)

In article <272@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ramesh@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nallepilli.s.ramesh) writes:

>I have a basic question about the DEC station 3100 running Ultrix.
>Is it possible to have multiple users logged in to the DEC 3100 via
>the ethernet?  We are planning to use a bunch of PCs in our lab on a

The workstation permits any number of users logged in through
ethernet or attached terminals.  Licensing is a different matter.
You may have 2-user, 8-user, 16-user, 32-user, 64-user, or 65+ user
licensing.  A system parameter limits the number allowed to log in
(not including the console) to an appropriate number.  Your system
manager can help you set the system parameter to agree with your
license.

Bob Kinne	 	Optoelectronics Computing Center
UCB, Campus Box 525	VOICE		(303) 492-3330
Boulder, CO 80309	INTERNET	bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU

thompson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) (03/17/89)

In article <272@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ramesh@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nallepilli.s.ramesh) writes:

>I have a basic question about the DEC station 3100 running Ultrix.
>Is it possible to have multiple users logged in to the DEC 3100 via
>the ethernet?  We are planning to use a bunch of PCs in our lab on a
>ethernet hooked up to the DEc station 3100.  We need remote login
>capability.  Two of the sales reps gave me conflicting information!
>One said that two users can be simultaneously logged in, the other said
>that only one (on the console ) can be logged in.  Can anybody shed some light?
>We are new to the networking world, and are comparing the suitability of
>DEC workstation vs. the Sun workstation.

We have two of these, newly delivered. It is most definitely possible to
have multiple users logged in. However, the machine comes with a 2 user
license, so unless you buy an upgrade (we have the 8-user upgrade for
an extra $300), you're limited to two users. It doesn't seem to count
root as one of these; this morning we had two people logged in over
the ethernet, and I successfully logged in as root on the console. The
2 user license doesn't limit you to one on the console and one remote;
it seems to be a total of two, where-ever they may come from.

As regards the DS3100 vs Sun, all I can say here is that I recently
compared the performance of my main application (a floating-point
intensive code that runs for several hours) between the DS3100 and
a Sun 4/110. The DS3100 was 3.34 times faster. Don't know about
the new Sun stopgap machine.

Steve

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (03/17/89)

In article <272@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, ramesh@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nallepilli.s.ramesh) writes:
> I have a basic question about the DEC station 3100 running Ultrix.
> Is it possible to have multiple users logged in to the DEC 3100 via
> the ethernet?  ...................  We need remote login
> capability.  Two of the sales reps gave me conflicting information!
> One said that two users can be simultaneously logged in, the other said
> that only one (on the console ) can be logged in.  Can anybody shed some light?
> We are new to the networking world, and are comparing the suitability of
> DEC workstation vs. the Sun workstation.

  DEC workstations running Ultrix permit two simultaneous logins.  If you need
  more than this, than you have to purchase an "official" multiuser system
  (same hardware, but add'l disk bundled in).  Helps protect dinosaur sales :-)

  The confusion arises because the Ultrix license for DEC workstations is often
  called a "single-user" license, even tho two are permitted.  Also, according
  to MY local salesman, VMS workstations are indeed restricted to single-user
  only.  But his reliability may not be any better than mine....

  In spite of the above sarcasm, I would recommend the DECstation 3100's over
  anything that Sun currently has to offer, especially since you do not yet
  have an investment in either.  The MIPS processor and software is, in my
  opinion (based on some pretty extensive testing), superior to SPARC and
  the Motorola 68nnn series.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (03/17/89)

In article <7561@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> thompson@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) writes:

>have multiple users logged in. However, the machine comes with a 2 user
>license

This is one of the things that I *can't* forgive DEC for.

>compared the performance of my main application (a floating-point
>intensive code that runs for several hours) between the DS3100 and
>a Sun 4/110. The DS3100 was 3.34 times faster.

Does that 4/110 have the optional floating point?  I've found that ours
is terrible at floating point because it doesn't.

.
.
.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (03/17/89)

In article <7561@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, thompson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) writes:
  [re DECstation 3100's ]

> We have two of these, newly delivered. It is most definitely possible to
> have multiple users logged in. However, the machine comes with a 2 user
> license, so unless you buy an upgrade (we have the 8-user upgrade for
> an extra $300), you're limited to two users.

  Note that the "8-user upgrade" is available to academic institutions only.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

thompson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) (03/18/89)

In article <3085@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>In article <7561@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> thompson@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) writes:
>>compared the performance of my main application (a floating-point
>>intensive code that runs for several hours) between the DS3100 and
>>a Sun 4/110. The DS3100 was 3.34 times faster.
>
>Does that 4/110 have the optional floating point?  I've found that ours
>is terrible at floating point because it doesn't.

Yup, the 4/110 has an FPU.

Steve

jg@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (03/20/89)

In article <7579@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> thompson@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) writes:
>In article <3085@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>>In article <7561@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> thompson@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Thompson) writes:
>>>compared the performance of my main application (a floating-point
>>>intensive code that runs for several hours) between the DS3100 and
>>>a Sun 4/110. The DS3100 was 3.34 times faster.
>>
>>Does that 4/110 have the optional floating point?  I've found that ours
>>is terrible at floating point because it doesn't.
>
>Yup, the 4/110 has an FPU.

Yes, the PMAX (DECstation 3100) is that fast. :-)  3.34 is well within the
typical performance variance between the Sun 4/110 and the PMAX.  See the
latest MIPS Performance Brief (version 3.6) that MIPS puts out; it has
lots of useful data of many benchmarks; I provided John Mashey with the
PMAX numbers when the machine was announced (John was kind enough to provide
me with a tape of the benchmark suite).
				Jim Gettys
				Digital Equipment Corporation
				Cambridge Reserch Laboratory

bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) (04/13/89)

Bob Kinne	 	Optoelectronics Computing Center
UCB, Campus Box 525	VOICE		(303) 492-3330
Boulder, CO 80309	INTERNET	bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU
We will be installing a DECstation 3100 in about 2 weeks.  We
would like to install ULTRIX 3.0 over the network, in the same
way we support VAXStations.  Our server is a 3500 with TK tape.
Since the byte ordering is different between the VAX and the
MIPS machine, are there any problems or tricks involved in setting
up the DECstation as a Remote Installation client of the VAXserver?
We will have the DECstation ULTRIX on a tape, we only need to
download it from tape to server, then from server to workstation.
Our DEC rep has no answers, and recommends buying a TK drive with
the DECstation (cost about $6500) to do downloads.  This doesn't
seem necessary to me, but I'd like some information from someone
with experience.

jg@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (04/14/89)

In article <8107@boulder.Colorado.EDU> bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) writes:
>We will be installing a DECstation 3100 in about 2 weeks.  We
>would like to install ULTRIX 3.0 over the network, in the same
>way we support VAXStations.  Our server is a 3500 with TK tape.
>Since the byte ordering is different between the VAX and the
>MIPS machine, are there any problems or tricks involved in setting
>up the DECstation as a Remote Installation client of the VAXserver?
>We will have the DECstation ULTRIX on a tape, we only need to
>download it from tape to server, then from server to workstation.
>Our DEC rep has no answers, and recommends buying a TK drive with
>the DECstation (cost about $6500) to do downloads.  This doesn't
>seem necessary to me, but I'd like some information from someone
>with experience.

The MIPS processors can be run in either byte order.  Strangely enough,
we chose to run the processor in the same byte order as the VAX. :-)

Ultrix can be installed from a VAXstation onto the DECstation 3100 (PMAX)
just fine; you do have to update the software on the VAXstation to perform
the installation however.

The machine I compose this message is a DECstation 3100; and it was
installed from a VAX 8550 onto my RZ55; we just installed this week a number of
other DECstations running diskless using the 8550 as their server.
We do not have a single TK50Z here at CRL.

In this release, there are some problems in performing RIS installations
on both VAXstations and DECstations simultaneously (you can do
one or the other but not both at the same instant); I presume these
problems will be fixed in Ultrix 3.1, but can't speak for UEG.
				Jim Gettys
				Digital Equipment Corporation
				Cambridge Research Lab

cdl@mplvax.EDU (Carl Lowenstein) (04/14/89)

In article <8107@boulder.Colorado.EDU> bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) writes:
>Bob Kinne	 	Optoelectronics Computing Center
>UCB, Campus Box 525	VOICE		(303) 492-3330
>Boulder, CO 80309	INTERNET	bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU
>We will be installing a DECstation 3100 in about 2 weeks.
>Since the byte ordering is different between the VAX and the
>MIPS machine, are there any problems or tricks involved in setting
>up the DECstation as a Remote Installation client of the VAXserver?

No -- the byte ordering is a 'board-construction time' option with the
MIPS chip set.  MIPS themselves chose to be big-endian, while DEC using
the same chips chose to be little-endian, to match VAXen, PDP11's,
80x86's etc. etc.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{decvax|ucbvax}	!ucsd!mplvax!cdl

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (10/26/89)

Hi all --
   I've been given a 3100 to bring up --- only catch is it has a
single, WREN IV drive attached to it.  Off course, all the DEC
installation software doesn't want to deal with the 3rd party drive.
I've gotten around most of this ^%$%^* garbage, but now when I boot
I go into the init question and answer stuff.  It tries to load
rz0g (/usr) from the distribution tape (it doesn't really need to,
I dumped/restored a /usr into rz0g already), and complains about
the disk again (/etc/disktab was modified for the WREN IV).  Is there
another blinkin' table to modify??  How do I get around this??
   While I'm here, I'm using ns=49, nt=9, and nc=1412 for the WREN IV.
Is that right??
   Pardon me, but I must say that I'm really pissed off at DEC for
all of this crap.  They're wasting a *bunch* of my time on mickey
mouse crap and marketing tactics that stink.  If they really want to
sell competitively priced workstations, they'd better clean up their
act.  We won't be buying any more of these things until they become
*open* systems.

                roger           rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

collins@grumpy.cs.unm.edu (Bill Collins) (10/31/89)

In article <2640@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>Hi all --
>   I've been given a 3100 to bring up --- only catch is it has a
>single, WREN IV drive attached to it.  Off course, all the DEC
		       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Really? I didn't know that DEC sold them this way. :-)

>installation software doesn't want to deal with the 3rd party drive.

Yeah, Lots of people have been doing it anyway.(Not without a little effort)
Its not like DEC is accomodating other companies though.

> ...(more steam to let off)...
>   Pardon me, but I must say that I'm really pissed off at DEC for
>all of this crap.  They're wasting a *bunch* of my time on mickey
>mouse crap and marketing tactics that stink.

First, call up CDC for the specification of the drive you purchased.(Somehow one
would expect this to come with the drive.  Though this is not always the case.)

Second, do you read news?  There has been plenty of talk on the net on how to do
it.  Most of them are quite easy to do.  In fact, some of the DEC designers have
posted the information as well.

Third, It is indeed that more difficult to use a 3rd party drive as the first
(boot) drive *any* machine.  At least it is "do-able" on the DECstation.  (Some
vendors make it impossible.)

Besides, just what are you complaining about?  Marketing tactics that all
companies use?  The lack of a news at your site?  That DEC is not in the
business of accomodating other companies' disk drives?(or at least this one.)
That the XYZ company who sold the CDC didn't tell you that it wasn't turn-key?
That the information that you required to make the task more simple didn't come
unsolicited?

"Caveat empture"(sp?) is a phrase that goes back a way.  Is there any reason
why we have to relearn the lesson?
			Bill
			collins@unmvax.unm.edu
			gatech!unmvax!collins

Have you been bussed today?

th82787@cc.tut.fi (Heinonen Tomi) (06/12/91)

Hi!

Is there any ftp sites in internet which has PD programs to new
DEC workstations? I have one in my work and I would like to get
some games:-)

--
Tomi Heinonen	 th82787@cc.tut.fi  Tampere University of Technology
Atomikatu 6 A 19,  33720  TAMPERE,  Finland   (tel. +358 31 185 757)