[comp.sys.dec] MAXSYMLINKS 8, any way to change this?

lma@neon.Stanford.EDU (Larry M. Augustin) (06/11/91)

For some reason, /usr/include/sys/param.h on RISC Ultrix 4.1 sets
MAXSYMLINKS to 8, instead of 20 as it is in 4.3bsd, VAX Ultrix, SunOS,
etc.

I need a higher limit.  20 (as with the other OSes) would be nice.
Unfortunately, I don't have kernel source.  I suspect that I need
vfs_dnlc.c, but like I said, I don't have source so I can't be sure.

If soneone could provide me a patched .o file with the higher limit,
or suggest a way to raise the limit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry M. Augustin			ERL 414
lma@sierra.stanford.edu			Computer Systems Lab
lma@dayton.stanford.edu			Stanford University
(415) 723-9285				Stanford, CA 94305

In article <1991Jun11.042421.16669@neon.Stanford.EDU> lma@neon.Stanford.EDU (Larry M. Augustin) writes:
> For some reason, /usr/include/sys/param.h on RISC Ultrix 4.1 sets
> MAXSYMLINKS to 8, instead of 20 as it is in 4.3bsd, VAX Ultrix, SunOS,
> etc.
>
> I need a higher limit.  20 (as with the other OSes) would be nice.
> Unfortunately, I don't have kernel source.  I suspect that I need
> vfs_dnlc.c, but like I said, I don't have source so I can't be sure.
>
> If soneone could provide me a patched .o file with the higher limit,
> or suggest a way to raise the limit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, it's been increased to 32 in Ultrix 4.2!  You could always
upgrade, though I suspect there's a one byte binary patch somewhere
that would also fix the problem...

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.042421.16669@neon.Stanford.EDU> lma@neon.Stanford.EDU (Larry M. Augustin) writes:
>For some reason, /usr/include/sys/param.h on RISC Ultrix 4.1 sets
>MAXSYMLINKS to 8, instead of 20 as it is in 4.3bsd, VAX Ultrix, SunOS,
>etc.
>
>I need a higher limit.  20 (as with the other OSes) would be nice.
>Unfortunately, I don't have kernel source.  I suspect that I need
>vfs_dnlc.c, but like I said, I don't have source so I can't be sure.
>
>If soneone could provide me a patched .o file with the higher limit,
>or suggest a way to raise the limit, I would greatly appreciate it.

We have the same problems and a sys. admin. cannot change that without
getting the source code from DEC (or a patch.) We have asked DEC to
provide us with a solution months ago, and we are still waiting...
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems