[comp.sys.dec] Fonts for VT1200

pbeck@athena.mit.edu (Paul E Beckmann) (06/11/91)

We recently purchased a VT1200 X-windows terminal, and connected it to our
cluster of SUNs.  The terminal doesn't like our X-windows fonts.  Any idea
what kind of fonts it wants, and how to get them?  Thanks.

		Paul Beckmann

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (06/11/91)

If I recall correctly, the VT1200 likes fonts in PCF format.  You can build
these from BDF using either an ULTRIX system or by getting a BDF-to-PCF
font compiler.  You can find one on gatekeeper.dec.com in the directory
pub/DEC/VT1000.

					Frank

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.170113.28241@athena.mit.edu> pbeck@athena.mit.edu (Paul E Beckmann) writes:
>We recently purchased a VT1200 X-windows terminal, and connected it to our
>cluster of SUNs.  The terminal doesn't like our X-windows fonts.  Any idea
>what kind of fonts it wants, and how to get them?  Thanks.

The terminal will use its server fonts, so to say "the terminal
doesn't like our X-windows fonts", is totally incorrect. Beside, DEC uses its
own fonts format. I believe there DEC provides a font compiler which
will compile the MIT-X fonts to the DEC format.
Have fun.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

stctmet@market.unocal.com (Mark Thistlewaite) (06/14/91)

They do indeed supply a compiler for the PC and MAC X Clients but I am curious
as to the method one compiles fonts for the VAXen.