[comp.sys.dec] Help!!

sspatter@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Samuel S Patterson) (06/16/91)

	Thanks to everyone who sent me addresses for booting the PDP-1134a.
Seems I'm gonna need a bit more help though.  Still won't boot...  Decided to
go through all my manuals and check to see if possibly some cards were missing
...  What I found out was that I have no idea... This poor thing was upgraded
too many times...  I needc to know what some of the cards do because I can't
find them in any of my manuals and I need to know if I need any other cards to
boot it up...  So here they go...
------------------------Mystery Cards------------------------
P/N1210711	This card has 44 chips on it and room for another 132...
		can't figure out what it does though...  Here's the stuff off
		the front of the chips too if it helps any: TMS 4532-20
		ZA1033-A3 P8044-P
M9312		This one has a 3-wire cable running to the console...
Rev D11 0066	I am totally !cxlue to what this one does.  Not even sure that
		is the card number.  It's just the closest thing I found...
		it has 4 26 pin connecters and 1 64 pin connect or in.
M7762		This one is connected to my drive cable so I figure it's some
		controller but I can';t find it in any of my books..
M8267		This one is plugged in next to the M8265 and M8266 cards and
		has jumpers, connecting it to them.  I suspected it was some
		kind of coprocessor but the chips on it look more like
		RAMchips...
--------------------------The Rest-------------------
M9302
M9202
M7856 (2 of them)
M7859
M8265 & M8266
And 2 serial connection cards...
Also I was wondering if I really need to have flip chips in every slot that has a blank place in the 3rd slot from the back...
I'd really appreciate any info anyone can give me on this stuff.  I'm more
of a programmer than a tech... (As though it isn't obvious...)

---------------------------Three Laws of Programming---------------------------

1.  Any given program, when running, is obsolete.

2.  When putting it into memory remember where you put it.

3.  A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do.

sspatter@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (129.15.20.2)
Home phone: (918) 355-4121
Home address: 3223 S. 210 E. Ave. BA, OK 74014 (USA)
Current phone: (412) 421-0674
Current Address: 2613 Tilbury Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217 (USA)

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun16.004606.10658@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, sspatter@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Samuel S Patterson) writes:

> P/N1210711	This card has 44 chips on it and room for another 132...
> 		can't figure out what it does though...  Here's the stuff off
> 		the front of the chips too if it helps any: TMS 4532-20
> 		ZA1033-A3 P8044-P

  I think you're reading the 12-class part number off the handle - look for
a 54-class part on the printed circuit card. Probably a memory board of some
sort. Hoefully, since I see no other memory in this system 8-).

> M9312		This one has a 3-wire cable running to the console...

  Bootstrap/terminator. Should live at one end of the bus or the other. Has
device boot ROMs on it.

> Rev D11 0066	I am totally !cxlue to what this one does.  Not even sure that
> 		is the card number.  It's just the closest thing I found...
> 		it has 4 26 pin connecters and 1 64 pin connect or in.

  No idea. Look at the circuit board for a 54-xxxxx part number.

> M7762		This one is connected to my drive cable so I figure it's some
> 		controller but I can';t find it in any of my books..

  RL11, RL01/02 controller.

> M8267		This one is plugged in next to the M8265 and M8266 cards and
> 		has jumpers, connecting it to them.  I suspected it was some
> 		kind of coprocessor but the chips on it look more like
> 		RAMchips...

  Floating point processor (FP11A). The M8265 and M8266 are the 11/34A CPU
set (KD11E-A)

> --------------------------The Rest-------------------
> M9302

  The other terminator. Should be at the other end of the bus from the M9312.

> M9202

  These connect seperate backplanes together.

> M7856 (2 of them)

  DL11W serial port + clock.

> M7859

  11/34 programmer's console interface

> M8265 & M8266

  CPU, again.

> And 2 serial connection cards...

> Also I was wondering if I really need to have flip chips in every slot that
> has a blank place in the 3rd slot from the back...

  If an entire Unibus hex slot is empty, you need a grant card in there. That's
the G727 cards you're talking about. However, there are 2 catches: 1) this only
applied to normal unibus peripheral slots. CPU backplanes may have dedicated
slots that should be left open. The same is true for options like the RK611.
2) There is a 5th jumper needed, the NPG jumper, which is usually wired on the
backplane with wire-wrap wire. I'd suggest finding a local PDP-11 hacker who
can look at this for you.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/17/91)

In article terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) writes:
>In article sspatter@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Samuel S Patterson) writes:
>> P/N1210711	This card has 44 chips on it and room for another 132...
>> 		can't figure out what it does though...  Here's the stuff off
>> 		the front of the chips too if it helps any: TMS 4532-20
>> 		ZA1033-A3 P8044-P
>  I think you're reading the 12-class part number off the handle - look for
>a 54-class part on the printed circuit card. Probably a memory board of some
>sort. Hoefully, since I see no other memory in this system 8-).

  Look at the chip number TMS 4532-20, That's almost certainly a memory chip.
Probably something like 32K or 8K x 4. 44 chips would be 11 8 bit words or
about 88K x 8 bits.  Quite reasonable amount for a old 34....
   I have seen a bunch of 1. Non-DEC memory cards, this may be one.  2. DEC
cards with out the correct part number terry is refering to.  (For a variety
of reasons, and sometimes I wasn't even involved 8-} .) 3. DEC cards which
the only existing (still) number is hidden or imbedded in the screening or
soldermask of the circuit.  Not many dec cards, especially old dec memory cards
had sockets for adding more memory.  Unless it said DEC in big red letters,
I'd suspect it was a aftermarket.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

bill@pyrite.nj.pyramid.com (Bill Pechter) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun16.004606.10658@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> sspatter@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Samuel S Patterson) writes:

>	Thanks to everyone who sent me addresses for booting the PDP-1134a.
>Seems I'm gonna need a bit more help though.  Still won't boot...

Sounds like all the boards below are what you need... assuming you've got
a good boot disk pack.

I'm posting rather than mailing so anyone else with these great antiques
can get some of the info...

The notes were in the attic and it's 90 degrees -- so I'm not going for the
old DEC Field Service notes from my 79J days - so here goes from memory...

>P/N1210711	This card has 44 chips on it and room for another 132...
>		can't figure out what it does though...  Here's the stuff off
>		the front of the chips too if it helps any: TMS 4532-20
>		ZA1033-A3 P8044-P

You got me - sounds like some kind of memory board...
It's not a DEC part no.  Probably TI memory.

>M9312		This one has a 3-wire cable running to the console...

This is a bootstrap terminator card with connections to the front panel boot
switch.  This holds the boot roms and front end terminator chips.
The space for this is usually in one of the first slots from the right...
I think the 4th or 5th (*if my memory is right)... It's marked in the box.
Usually the console DL11 sits below it since it goes in the A&B backplane slots.
The DL11 goes in the lower 4 slots C D E and F...

>Rev D11 0066	I am totally !cxlue to what this one does.  Not even sure that
>		is the card number.  It's just the closest thing I found...
>		it has 4 26 pin connecters and 1 64 pin connect or in.

No *&^%$ idea what this is.

>M7762		This one is connected to my drive cable so I figure it's some
>		controller but I can';t find it in any of my books..

RL11 RL01/RL02 disk controller I believe.  It's got a flat ribbon cable...
Cable goes to a black transition connector and then to a round 40 pin cable
I think...

>M8267		This one is plugged in next to the M8265 and M8266 cards and
>		has jumpers, connecting it to them.  I suspected it was some
>		kind of coprocessor but the chips on it look more like
>		RAMchips...

The machine has Cache and Floating point capacity... If it goes in slot 3 or
4 it's cache or floating point.  The over the top connectors connect floating
point usually.  Cache has some red toggle switches to enable/disable 1/2
of the cache on cache errors.

>M9302

Unibus Terminator -
Put this in the last slot to the left on the bus in the A&B connectors.
Otherwise - you can induce smoke.

>M9202
Unibus jumper from one backplane segment to the next.
Also in the A&B connectors.

>M7856 (2 of them)
DL11W serial card/clock card...

>M7859
I seem to remember this as an LP11/LS11/LA11 printer interface (Data Products).

>M8265 & M8266
CPU cards
Slots 1 and 2 (rightmost slots)...

>And 2 serial connection cards...

>Also I was wondering if I really need to have flip chips in every slot that has a blank place in the 3rd slot from the back...

Yup they provide grant continuity for the Unibus.  Pull one and the bus locks
up.  The signals must go to the end of the bus to the M9302 terminator.

Give me a call one night and I can talk you through some of the stuff on
this machine.  I did 6 years of DEC service and have some of the info in
the attic.

Bill Pechter
908-370-0709
--
Bill Pechter                       | "The postmaster always pings twice."
Pyramid Technology                 | bill@pyrite.nj.pyramid.com