[comp.sys.dec] a graphics library

mlevin@jade.tufts.edu (06/16/91)

    I have Ultrix 4.2 running on a VaxStation II, with the normal
workstation DecWindows stuff (no MIT X stuff, etc.). Are there any
(preferably public-domain) graphics libraries available that can work
with DecWindows and do 3D graphics?  I need it to be callable from
Ultrix C, and seen in real-time (not like saving PostScript commands to a
file, for later print-out, for example). If anyone has a suggestion,
please let me know.

Mike Levin

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.173056.10739@athena.mit.edu> mlevin@jade.tufts.edu writes:

>    I have Ultrix 4.2 running on a VaxStation II, with the normal
>workstation DecWindows stuff (no MIT X stuff, etc.). Are there any
... deleted text...
Are you sure you do not have *any* MIT X stuff like xhost, just to
mention one of the most used x commands? Since DECWindows is built on
top of X, your comment seems like you are talking with blinds on.

--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

reha@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Reha Elci) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun15.173056.10739@athena.mit.edu> mlevin@jade.tufts.edu writes:

>    I have Ultrix 4.2 running on a VaxStation II, with the normal
>workstation DecWindows stuff (no MIT X stuff, etc.). Are there any
>(preferably public-domain) graphics libraries available that can work
>with DecWindows and do 3D graphics?  I need it to be callable from
>Ultrix C, and seen in real-time (not like saving PostScript commands to a
First, most of the MIT-X stuff is avaliable; when you configured the machines
using /etc/setld -l, one of the subsets available is the unsuported MIT-X
stuff. With 4.2 in fact, subsets are X11R4 (i.e. there is even more contrib
stuff). As to 3D, the best software is DEC-Phigs+ which will cost you a
bundle but it does a lot + its close to being a standard (pending PEX).
To the best of my knowledge, none of the public-domain stuff come close.

Reha Elci