[comp.sys.dec] DEC DEREP usage

johnson@EA.USL.EDU (06/14/91)

I have a pair of DEREP-RA remote ethernet repeaters used to link 2 thickwire
segments via fiber optics.   This application is no longer needed, and so I
would like to use one of the repeater halves for something else.

I purchased a thinwire transceiver and want to plug it into the 'B'
transceiver port on one of the DEREP halves.

Each half has port 'A' which goes to a local thickwire transceiver, and
a fiber connection and transceiver connection for port 'B'.  It seems,
however, that currently I can only send information from port A to port B
and not from B to A.  (it appears the transceiver port at B is dissabled)

Does anyone know how to enable that transceiver port at B.  There is
a set of jumper pins located between the transceiver ports, but there is
nothing said about it in the book.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Lee Johnson       hlj@usl.edu

lynn@b8.ingr.com (Lynn Wiginton) (06/18/91)

In article <0094A10A.DFBFA200@EA.USL.EDU>, johnson@EA.USL.EDU writes:
> I have a pair of DEREP-RA remote ethernet repeaters used to link 2 thickwire
> segments via fiber optics.   This application is no longer needed, and so I
> would like to use one of the repeater halves for something else.
>
> I purchased a thinwire transceiver and want to plug it into the 'B'
> transceiver port on one of the DEREP halves.
>
> Each half has port 'A' which goes to a local thickwire transceiver, and
> a fiber connection and transceiver connection for port 'B'.  It seems,
> however, that currently I can only send information from port A to port B
> and not from B to A.  (it appears the transceiver port at B is dissabled)
>
> Does anyone know how to enable that transceiver port at B.  There is
> a set of jumper pins located between the transceiver ports, but there is
> nothing said about it in the book.
>
> Thanks for any help in advance.
>
> Lee Johnson       hlj@usl.edu
Lee,

 Open the DEREP and remove the small piggy back board that contains
the fiber optic connectors. This will enable Port B for connection
to another transceiver.

 Good Luck,