[comp.sys.dec] microvax help

<SPCL0007@Ryerson.Ca> (06/18/91)

Hello there,
            I need some help with a micro-vax computer.  It was
running micro-vms 4.5 and about a week ago we started it up and
got the following:

KA630-A.V).3

Performing normal sytem tests

  7..6..5..4..3..

Tests completed.

  2..
?4C DEVINACT, DUA0
?06 HLT INST
PC = 00000EE6
Failure.

Can anyone suggest what I might do given this message?????

Please send replies to:

SPCL0007@RYERSON.CA

Thanks in advance.....
Paul.....

marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) (06/20/91)

<91169.105914SPCL0007@Ryerson.Ca> writes:

>  2..
>?4C DEVINACT, DUA0
>?06 HLT INST
>PC = 00000EE6
>Failure.

When you see this, the disk and/or disk controller went south.  First thing to
to is check all your cableing.  A common problem is the wires on the end of
the connector at the disk drive is touching some metal.  Place some insulating
tape over the ends if you suspect this is happening.  Otherwise, just reseat
all the disk cables...

						.dave.

+ Dave Marra                            | TMF Engineering                     +
+ Software Validation Suites            | 37 Carlene Drive                    +
+ X Windows / Motif / VMS               | Nashua, NH 03062                    +

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (06/23/91)

SPCL0007:  I tried to mail a response similar to below to you, but your
mail system bounced my message with a "no such user" error.

In <1991Jun20.133543.7583@e2big.mko.dec.com> marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) writes:

><91169.105914SPCL0007@Ryerson.Ca> writes:
>>
>>  2..
>>?4C DEVINACT, DUA0
>>?06 HLT INST
>>PC = 00000EE6
>>Failure.
>>>>>

>When you see this, the disk and/or disk controller went south.  First thing to
>to is check all your cableing.  A common problem is the wires on the end of
>the connector at the disk drive is touching some metal.  Place some insulating
>tape over the ends if you suspect this is happening.  Otherwise, just reseat
>all the disk cables...

>						.dave.

>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>+ Dave Marra                            | TMF Engineering                     +
>+ Software Validation Suites            | 37 Carlene Drive                    +
>+ X Windows / Motif / VMS               | Nashua, NH 03062                    +
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

As Dave says, check the cables first.  If the cables are frayed, either tape
them with electrical tape, or replace them.

If the cables are ok, check the 12V power supply.  Some boards do not use
the 12V supply, so they will function without it.  I know the PDP 11/23 uses
the 12V supply, but the PDP 11/73 does not.  I don't know about the MicroVAX II.

The disk drives use the 12V supply for the motor.  If the 12V supply is dead
(or overloaded) the disk drives will not be able to spin up.

Also, if you have more than one drive on that controller, try booting
another drive on the same controller.  If the other drive is non-bootable,
I think you should get a different error.  However, I can't shut my system
down to verify that.

Also, try swapping drives and/or controllers if you have spares.  This should
help narrow it down to the drive or the controller.

				Harry Herman
				herman@corpane