[comp.sys.dec] Cables wanted.

xxwwxx@mixcom.COM (Tim and Tim Company) (06/25/91)

I need some cables -

40 conductor, ribbon or round, dual-row 'berg' connectors on each end.

They need to be 10-15 feet long, and ***** SHIELDED *****

I need quantity 5.

I have a 3 50 conductor cables, SHIELDED, length ~20-25 feet,
which I do not need.  They are in FAIR shape, but they do work.

Contact:

--
Tim Thompson
%PILOT AIR FREIGHT  414+764-6655 M-F, 2:00 - 9:00 PM CST

"Don't slap me, 'cause I'm not in the mood."

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/26/91)

In article <1065@mixcom.COM>, xxwwxx@mixcom.COM (Tim and Tim Company) writes:
> I need some cables -
>
> 40 conductor, ribbon or round, dual-row 'berg' connectors on each end.
>
> They need to be 10-15 feet long, and ***** SHIELDED *****

  You need to me more specific about "shielded". The standard type for
shielding ribbon cables is a copper grid under one side of the cable,
with a drain wire running the length of the cable. However, that wire
can be connected to pin 1 or the other end of the cable. There are also
dual-drain configurations where both of the above are used at the same
time - such as on the MicroVAX II memory bus.

  You should be able to use BC06 Massbus cables if you need a simple,
shield-on-pin-1 setup. These are shielded 40-pin flat cables that come
in various lengths, including 10/12/15/25 feet. They come in sets of 3
for Massbus operation.

  Be sure to get the shield connected to the right pin when plugging the
connector onto the board - if you get it backwards you're likely sending
a data bit through the shield instead of ground, and that's bad for the
data as well as for the RF level in the room.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381