[comp.sys.dec] Using a DEQNA on a system running the latest and greatest VMS

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/27/91)

In article <81349@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> Boy have I got news for everyone who told me not to buy a DEQNA because I
> would not be able to use it unless I stuck with V5.3 for ever!

[Note: this is a revised version of my original article, edited to be less
strident and to correct problems with my newsreader which caused my original
reply to be mis-titled.]

  I didn't say V5.3 forever - I said support was being dropped in the near
future.

  I refer you to page 4 of "Cover Letter for VMS Version 5.4", DEC part
number AV-EF56K-TE, which states:

"DECnet-VAX Device Support Information

Over the next 6 to 12 months, VMS, DECnet-VAX, avd VAXcluster software
support for the DEQNA Ethernet adapter will be withdrawn. For 24 months
after that, the DEQNA adapter will be accessible only by user applica-
tions that use the $QIO interface to the Q-bus Ethernet device driver
(XQDRIVER). During that time, when the XQDRIVER recognizes the device as
a DEQNA adapter, a console message will be printed specifying that the
DEQNA adapter is an unsupported device. However, these user applications
will continue to work. At the end of the 24-month period, the DEQNA
Ethernet adapter will no longer be accessible.

Digital recommends that customer implementations that use the DEQNA ad-
apter upgrade as soon as possible to either the DELQA or DESQA adapter,
whichever is appropriate for the system. Customer upgrade options cur-
rently are available from DECdirect. Contact your local Digital sales
office for more information."

  This text is repeated in "Cover Letter for DECnet-VAXtm Version 5.4",
DEC part number AV-DL04J-TE.

  The date of the BOM (Bill of Materials) for my V5.4 kit is 26-Jul-90,
so as they say: REPENT, FOR THE END IS NEAR!!! If you have 12 months from
then, you'd better make plans soon. Of course, if you want to stay with
VMS V5.<whatever-the-last-version-supporting-the-DEQNA-is>, you're all
set. However, unrelated problems can make an upgrade unexpectedly necess-
ary, so it's best to be prepared (and have that DELQA handy). This is
especially true as DEC's trade-in program is scheduled to end at the end
of this month.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

tihor@acf3.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (06/27/91)

The DEQNA is likely to continue to work for some numbner of releases.
However it will gradually become less and less effective as you upgrade
your network software and as your netowrk pushes the limits of the
hardware specs.  I amnot sure who told you 5.3 was a magic release.
Its more a matter of DECNET-OSI (phase V) straining it to a level of
performance that some consider unacceptable and the like.    WIth
careful controlof what protocols you use and DECs probable shipment of
"unsupported" drivers for as long as we can convince them to continue.