[comp.sys.dec] <None>

CCHD@latvax8.lat.oz (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) (03/09/90)

i'm trying to install a Maxtor XT-2190 into a VAXstation-2000.
At the moment, I'm having no luck formatting it. The VAXstation
happily works with an RD53 borrowed from another VAXstation, and
the Maxtor happily formats (as an RD50!) in a Rainbow. Does anyone
else have any experience with this type of drive in a VAXstation?

Huw Davies,
Senior Systems Programmer,
Computer Centre,
La Trobe University,
Bundoora,
Victoria 3083, Australia

Phone:  (03) 479-2515 International: +61 3 479-2515
ACSnet: cchd@latvax8.lat.oz
CSnet:	cchd@latvax8.lat.oz or cchd%latvax8.lat.oz@australia or
	cchd%latvax8.lat.oz@csnet-relay
BITnet:	cchd@latvax8.lat.oz
ARPA:	cchd%latvax8.lat.oz@uunet.uu.net or
	cchd@latvax8.lat.oz.au on sites with latest nameservers
UUCP:	...!{uunet,mcvax,ukc}!munnari!latvax8.lat.oz!cchd
JANET:  cchd%latvax8.lat.oz@uk.ac.ean-relay or
	cchd%latvax8.lat.oz@uk.ac.ucl.cs or
	cchd%latvax8.lat.oz@uk.ac.ukc

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (06/10/90)

In article <875@rm1.UUCP>, don@rm1.UUCP (Don Joslyn) writes:

> We are currently considering a Digital (DEC) solution to provide X.400 and
> X.500-like capabilites for a network of VMS and UNIX (Ultrix and SunOS) hosts,
> and PC's running PCSA/PCmail.
>
> I'm seeking information on user satisfaction with the following products:
>
> 	MAILbus
> 	VAX Message Router
> 	VAX Message Router X.400 Gateway
> 	Ultrix Mail Connection
> 	Distributed Directory Service

Me too!

    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            *     EAN     doelz@urz.unibas.ch
      Biocomputing                *     DECNET  48130::doelz
Biozentrum der Universitaet       *     X25     psi%46211142::embnet
   Klingelbergstrasse 70          *     FAX     x41 61 256760
     CH 4056 Basel                *     TEL     x41 61 253880 ext 888

gjc@paradigm.com (07/31/90)

I'm curious to know if there are any input values (command line values)
for this program which can crash a DECSTATION. The input
%crashme 1000 10 200
will evidently crash a SUN-4. Determined experimentally on a SUN-4/110
running sun os 4.1 and a SUN-4/280 running 4.0.3

The idea was to see how a RISC processor handles the execution of
random data as if it were a program. For example this would happen
if the arguments to a X-Window subroutine with a callback procedure
were mixed up.

jigang@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Jigang Yang) (09/15/90)

I am using DEC Window and UIL to build a user interface program. I got a problem and
hope someone can help me.

The problem is: How to convert a compound string to a plain text string(char *)?

For example, I can use the DwtCStrcpy(list->item) to copy the compound string from
the list box item. But when I want to post that string to a simple text widget , I
have to convert the string to plain text string(char *) to use
XtSetArg(al[0],resource,value) and  XtSetValues(w, al, 1).
Jigang Yang
Geosciences Computing Network            Tel:   405-325-5540
Univ. of Oklahoma                        Email: jigang@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu
830 Van Vleet Oval #116
Norman, OK 73019

kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) (11/08/90)

Subject:DECwindows dxcardfiler
Sender: news@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 15:09:44 GMT

Is the format of the cardfile published anywhere.  I want to add 2000 card
stack, but I don't want to enter it by hand.

thanks,

ken

murphy@ufp.dco.dec.com (Rick Murphy) (01/07/91)

--

A new version of DXRN/MXRN are available. They track changes made to the
original code (XRN) up to XRN V6.14. Many new features and bugs fixed.

For those who don't know, DXRN is a DECwindows (XUI) version of XRN.
MXRN is a Motif (V1.0 or V1.1) version of XRN. Both have been tested on
various DEC systems, both VMS and ULTRIX.

The VMS kit for this release provides support for TCP/IP products other
than DEC's UCX. (Thanks to the contributors!)
	-Rick

How to get DXRN:
(For ULTRIX:)
% ftp gatekeeper.dec.com
user: anonymous
password: guest
ftp> cd pub/DEC
ftp> binary
ftp> get dxrn.tar.Z
ftp> quit
% uncompress dxrn.tar.Z
% tar xf dxrn.tar

(For VMS:)

$ ftp gatekeeper.dec.com
user:anonymous
password: guest
ftp> cd pub/DEC
ftp> get dxrn.share
ftp> quit
$ @dxrn.share

How to install DXRN:

0. See the file CHANGES for a list of changes from the last release.

1. Does an NNTP server (version 1.5 or greater) exist on your network?
   - if not, get the NNTP server code and install it
     (via anonymous ftp from ucbvax.berkeley.edu)
   - make sure that XHDR (in nntp/common/conf.h) was defined
     when your NNTP server was installed.
     (XRN will tell you if it has not been defined)

2. Look at `config.h' and make the necessary modifications
   (default settings, location of various files, domain name, etc.)
   (VMS Users need to look at clientlib.c and define the proper
    symbol for the TCP/IP they're using.)

   ** Note: Unless you want to look like you're coming from DEC, it's
            important to edit at least the 'domain' and 'organization'
            defines in config.h. You've been warned.

3. Make dxrn

   (For ULTRIX:)

   a. Build dxrn

	  make

   b. Build mxrn

	  make -f Makefile.motif

   (For VMS:)

   a. Build dxrn:

	$ @make-dxrn

   b. Build mxrn:

	$ @make-mxrn

Rick Murphy, WA1SPT/4			DEC Washington ULTRIX Resource Center
Domain:  murphy@burfle.dco.dec.com -or- murphy@ufp.enet.dec.com
Bang:    decwrl!ufp.enet!murphy		Ding:  (301) 306-2985
Disclaimer: This nonsense came from an AI program written in TECO. Ignore it.

wittkopf@proton.mpr.ca (Kevin Wittkopf) (03/30/91)

We have a generic login setup that executes '/bin/machine' (on
DECstations) or '/bin/arch'
on Suns, in order to get the machine type. We also have a VAXstation
3100, but neither
of these programs exist on that machine. Is there some other standard
command available on
the VAXstation that provides this? Or barring that, is there some unique
VAXstation command,
that if it is present, will tell me I'm on a VAXstation? Thanx.

--
Kevin Wittkopf                  | Voice : (604) 293-6087
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787

cts@dragon.com (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (06/09/91)

I have a MicroVAX II system with a Systems Industries Qbus ESDI controller.
Currently, its running with a 330 MB Maxtor drive (and running well).

I want to add a Priam Model 338 (ID-330E) to the subsystem.  I was able
to format the drive;  the controller and diagnostics see the drive;  however
VMS does not.

So far, the SI engineer has suggested moving the Priam to be the first drive
on the daisy cable, and to remove the resistor pack on the Maxtor.  Still
nada.

At boot, I can attempt to boot the new drive;  the controller clearly accesses
the drive, but the Vax comes back with a devoffline error.  The original
Maxtor boots fine.

Unfortunately, I have no documentation for either the controller or the
drive.

The Maxtor is set up as 34 sector, 1223 cyl.  The Priam defaulted to
36 sec, 1224 cyl.  I didn't change these values, and it seemed to
format ok.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Charles T. Smith, Jr.                       | "Beam me up, Scotty, there's no
cts@dragon.com                              |  intelligent life down here..."
gatech!emory!dragon!cts                     |

chris@stan.brandonu.ca (06/21/91)

Does anyone out there in net.land know where a person can get a BA213 cabinet
(preferably) without a power-supply.  I just want the cabinet to use on a
project.

In addition, I am looking for(at?) one of the taller, thinner towers (I forget
the part #) that the MicroVAX II's came in.

Please E-Mail if you have any ideas.

Thanks

C.W. (Chris) Ross
Meyers Norris Penny & Co.
Chartered Accountants

Chris@BrandonU.CA
Chris@TKM.BrandonU.CA

(204) 727-0661 Ext. 245 [Voice, Work]
(204) 728-5273          [Voice, Home]

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/27/91)

In article <81349@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> Boy have I got news for everyone who told me not to buy a DEQNA because I
> would not be able to use it unless I stuck with V5.3 for ever!

  I didn't say V5.3 forever - I said support was being dropped in the near
future.

  I refer you to page 4 of "Cover Letter for VMS Version 5.4", DEC part
number AV-EF56K-TE, which states:

"DECnet-VAX Device Support Information

Over the next 6 to 12 months, VMS, DECnet-VAX, avd VAXcluster software
support for the DEQNA Ethernet adapter will be withdrawn. For 24 months
after that, the DEQNA adapter will be accessible only by user applica-
tions that use the $QIO interface to the Q-bus Ethernet device driver
(XQDRIVER). During that time, when the XQDRIVER recognizes the device as
a DEQNA adapter, a console message will be printed specifying that the
DEQNA adapter is an unsupported device. However, these user applications
will continue to work. At the end of the 24-month period, the DEQNA
Ethernet adapter will no longer be accessible.

Digital recommends that customer implementations that use the DEQNA ad-
apter upgrade as soon as possible to either the DELQA or DESQA adapter,
whichever is appropriate for the system. Customer upgrade options cur-
rently are available from DECdirect. Contact your local Digital sales
office for more information."

  This text is repeated in "Cover Letter for DECnet-VAXtm Version 5.4",
DEC part number AV-DL04J-TE.

  The date of the BOM (Bill of Materials) for my V5.4 kit is 26-Jul-90,
so as they say: REPENT, FOR THE END IS NEAR!!! If you have 12 months from
then, you'd better make plans soon.

> So, thanks for all the useful advice on the DEQNA, people. NOT!

  I'm glad you found it helpful to discard the advice from people on the
net who wanted to help you at no cost. Please avoid bothering us with
questions you already know the answers to in the future. If I should hap-
pen to forget that a posted question came from you, please do me the favor
of ignoring it.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (06/27/91)

In article <81349@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> A DEQNA can be used on a MicroVAX II running the latest CD ROM-based version
> of VMS (5.4-something). Nobody can tell me otherwise, because my system can
> do the following: 'set host' to another system, and file transfer to/from
> another system, all via the DEQNA.

We've got a MicroVAX II with 2 DEQNA boards running VMS V5.4-2.
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) (06/28/91)

In article <23030002@acf3.NYU.EDU>, tihor@acf3.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) writes:
> The DEQNA is likely to continue to work for some numbner of releases.

After a fashion

> However it will gradually become less and less effective as you upgrade
> your network software and as your netowrk pushes the limits of the
> hardware specs.  I amnot sure who told you 5.3 was a magic release.
> Its more a matter of DECNET-OSI (phase V) straining it to a level of
> performance that some consider unacceptable and the like.    [...]

Performance of the DEQNA is already (and has been for a long time)
considered unacceptable for NI cluster use.  That's why NI clusters
solemnly software checksum each packet if there's a DEQNA around.  The
things seem to have been designed before the typical volume of traffic
on an ethernet reached its present levels.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Senior Consultant, postmaster and general dogsbody
Laser-Scan Ltd., Science Park, Milton Rd., Cambridge CB4 4FY, UK