[comp.sys.dec] RK611 driver. What is it?

pblair@skid.ps.uci.edu (Paul Blair) (06/28/91)

Hi again...   Still sspatter, borrowing my friend's account...
Here we go... Got all the cards put in right.  Still need to know how to
boot up the terminal.  Also, what the devil does an RK611 controller do?
I thought it went to my RK07 drive but when I put it in and turn the
computer on, the address numbers don't come on on the console of the
front.  The flicker for a moment and then fade out.
     I'd *really* like to know what that thing does since it doesn't
appear to do what I thought it did.  also, I need instructions from the
ground up on how to boot up the console at least so I can play with
it...  (I'm assuming it is possible to boo the console without any
drives or anything on and get it so I can type things on the console and
it 3echo them to the screen....  Could be wrong though)  I need to do
this to see if it's even worth wawsting my time trying to get the drives
to come online...
						Thanks.
						SS Patterson.
						pblair@128.200.11.58

havemann_l@spcvxb.spc.edu (06/28/91)

In article <286AD0DD.757@orion.oac.uci.edu>, pblair@skid.ps.uci.edu (Paul Blair) writes:
> Hi again...   Still sspatter, borrowing my friend's account...
> Here we go... Got all the cards put in right.  Still need to know how to
> boot up the terminal.  Also, what the devil does an RK611 controller do?
> I thought it went to my RK07 drive but when I put it in and turn the
> computer on, the address numbers don't come on on the console of the
> front.  The flicker for a moment and then fade out.
>      I'd *really* like to know what that thing does since it doesn't
> appear to do what I thought it did.  also, I need instructions from the
> ground up on how to boot up the console at least so I can play with
> it...  (I'm assuming it is possible to boo the console without any
> drives or anything on and get it so I can type things on the console and
> it 3echo them to the screen....  Could be wrong though)  I need to do
> this to see if it's even worth wawsting my time trying to get the drives
> to come online...
> 						Thanks.
> 						SS Patterson.
> 						pblair@128.200.11.58

An RK611/RK06 *or* an RK611/RK07 disk drive subsystem is exactly that.
Just make sure you have the correct port switch (usually "A")
depressed on the RK07 panel, otherwise the CPU will not recognize the
drive. Also, you must have a logic plug installed (the little # 0 thru 7)
on the panel.
 Make sure that you have a terminator installed on the last drive in the
series also.
 Im not too adept at the controller addresses, but I think you need to
check that the controller status register is there (RKCS1 = 777440).
I have the ODT boot program around for that somewhere if you don't have
the boot prom for an RK07 also.. I could dig it up if you need it...

 / Lee Havemann, Sys_op   HSH Associates  (201) 838-3330 \
/  Havemann_l@spcvxa.spc.edu  -  Havemann_l@spcvxa.bitnet \
\  "Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of   /
 \  anyone else, including myself."                      /