[comp.sys.dec] TAR for VMS?

drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) (06/26/91)

I have an upcoming need to read a 9-track tape written by a Unix box by
a VMS machine.  Is there a TAR utility available for VMS.

What are your recommendations for handling this data transfer?

Why do this?  It's a requirement from a government agency!

Thanks in advance,

--

  DISCLAIMER:  I, hereby, disclaim any disclaimer except this disclaimer.

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| David Rackley                 | Now comes the really weird part...You know  |
| Applied Research Laboratories | the part where I know how to tap dance, but |
| The University of Texas       | only while wearing golf shoes...            |
| Austin, TX.  78758            |        ...Ponderous, man, really ponderous! |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (06/27/91)

Available for anonymous FTP from gatekeeper.dec.com

	pub/VMS/vmstar.dcl

ben@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL (Ben Pashkoff) (06/27/91)

In article <DRACK.91Jun26105055@diablo.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) writes:
> I have an upcoming need to read a 9-track tape written by a Unix box by
> a VMS machine.  Is there a TAR utility available for VMS.

Yes, It is good. It is available from anon ftp at several sites. Ours,
included, VMS.HUJI.AC.IL PUBLIC$:[UNIX_UTIL]
|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL            |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                |
|      VAX/VMS Systems                                                 |
|      Computer Center              Phone:(972)-4-292177 office        |
|      Technion IIT                 FAX:  (972)-4-236212               |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000                                             |

cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (06/27/91)

In article <DRACK.91Jun26105055@diablo.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) writes:
> I have an upcoming need to read a 9-track tape written by a Unix box by
> a VMS machine.  Is there a TAR utility available for VMS.
>
> What are your recommendations for handling this data transfer?
>
> Why do this?  It's a requirement from a government agency!
> Thanks in advance,
>
>   DISCLAIMER:  I, hereby, disclaim any disclaimer except this disclaimer.

I have two versions of TAR for VMS:

One, called simply "TAR", which is rather robust, requires a PASCAL compiler,
(it's written in PASCAL, MACRO, and uses the command definition utility,
as well as the MESSAGE utility), and _should_ be available at your your
favorite VMSSERVE site, as well as {black|white}.cerritos.edu.

The other one I have is called VMSTAR and the latest version I have is 1.5.
it works rather unix-like, if that matters to you.

I do not know which is "better", or even if there is a better one.
I've banged on TAR pretty hard, and it only broke in a couple of cases,
and i banged on VMSTAR 1.1 hard, with the same results. I have not
worked with VMSTAR 1.5 at all. VMSTAR should be available from a VMSSERV
site or the above ftp site.

-cgw-

christopher williams, `gilligan', `dude', cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu, +1 817 565 4161
lead programmer/operator, the university of north texas, home of the _VaxCave_!
`help stamp out and abolish redundancy!'           my other .sig is boring too.

cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (06/27/91)

In article <2250@riscy.enet.dec.com>, frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> Available for anonymous FTP from gatekeeper.dec.com
> 	pub/VMS/vmstar.dcl

that appears to be VMSTAR 1.1. I'll submit VMSTAR 1.5 there, hopefully.

-cgw-

christopher williams, `gilligan', `dude', cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu, +1 817 565 4161
lead programmer/operator, the university of north texas, home of the _VaxCave_!
`help stamp out and abolish redundancy!'           my other .sig is boring too.

rupert@lion.inmos.co.uk (Rupert Pigott) (06/28/91)

I am the proud new owner of a hardly used VAX-11/785 (Installed early '87).

Needless to say being a private owner is not easy, but the company from whom
I have purchased it has been very supportive with such things as lisence
transferal (et cetera.) .

I have the following bits:
  1 x KA785 CPU with 32Mb memory (4Mb per card - MS780H ?)
  2 x DW780's (UNIBUS Adaptors).
  1 x RH780 (MASSBUS Adaptor).
  2 x CI780 (Cluster controller).

  1 x UNIBUS cabinet + backplane (BA11 ?)
      [+Assorted stuff - DEUNA + 48 RS232 ports]
  1 x VT180 Terminal
  1 x SBI Extender cabinet (gutted).
  1 x TU78 Tape [Master Unit].
  2 x RM03 Pack Drives [67Mb - were connected to DECsystem-20]
  2 x MASSBUS terminators.

Questions :

1) Can I hang the TU78 Master and RM03's on the one RH780 (at the
   same time), the reason for doing this is that I have no other way of
   building a working VMS on an RM03 Pack.

2) If I was able to get hold of another (older) VAX-11/780-5 with
   god-knows-what peripheral support; Can I boot this machine via CI780
   from the VAX-11/785 I already have ?

3) Has anyone got VAX-11/750's, VAX-11/730's or any VAX-11/780 (s) or UNIBUS
   stuff/cabinets/drives/machines they are getting rid of ... Drop me a line
   I NEED spares + serious MASS storage.

... If anyone has a weird outmoded large + difficult-to-maintain "system"
they are deinstalling [say a Cyber-205 for example], I would be only too
happy to come round and have a look at it ... and possibly reinstall it in
a cow shed in the grim northwest of England.

Thanks in hope of getting some kind of response from anyone who cares to
help someone without much cash to spend on trendy + boring machines ...

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/28/91)

In article <16897@ganymede.inmos.co.uk>, rupert@lion.inmos.co.uk (Rupert Pigott) writes:
> I am the proud new owner of a hardly used VAX-11/785 (Installed early '87).

>   2 x RM03 Pack Drives [67Mb - were connected to DECsystem-20]

  I'm not sure, but I think something needs to be changed in order to run
those on a 512-byte-sector (non-DEC20) system. I can look it up if you're
desperate.

> 1) Can I hang the TU78 Master and RM03's on the one RH780 (at the
>    same time), the reason for doing this is that I have no other way of
>    building a working VMS on an RM03 Pack.

  Yes. I've done that very same thing here to build a VMS pack from TU78's
onto an RM03, but see above about the RM03's.

> 2) If I was able to get hold of another (older) VAX-11/780-5 with
>    god-knows-what peripheral support; Can I boot this machine via CI780
>    from the VAX-11/785 I already have ?

  No, but you could get a Star Coupler (SC008) and have them talk to each
other once they booted. Or, you could get an HSC50 and a HSC5X-BA card and
some RAxx drives and boot both systems that way. Right now that's a bit
expensive, but expect HSC50's and BA cards to take a _nosedive_ in the next
quarter.

> 3) Has anyone got VAX-11/750's, VAX-11/730's or any VAX-11/780 (s) or UNIBUS
>    stuff/cabinets/drives/machines they are getting rid of ... Drop me a line
>    I NEED spares + serious MASS storage.

  Yes, but I think the freight would be prohibitive 8-}

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

P.S. - You'll probably get more interest by using a new subject line. I've
left yours intact as you may be watching for that subject to come up.

In article <16897@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> rupert@inmos.co.uk (Rupert Pigott) writes:
> I am the proud new owner of a hardly used VAX-11/785 (Installed early '87).

Getting free electricity from from somewhere?

> Questions :
>
> 1) Can I hang the TU78 Master and RM03's on the one RH780 (at the
>    same time), the reason for doing this is that I have no other way of
>    building a working VMS on an RM03 Pack.

Yes, no problem.

> 2) If I was able to get hold of another (older) VAX-11/780-5 with
>    god-knows-what peripheral support; Can I boot this machine via CI780
>    from the VAX-11/785 I already have ?

I don't think so, the normal use of the CI is to share drives attached to
a HSC.  There is also some other CI based network support, but I don't know
enough about VMS to say how far you'll get.

> 3) Has anyone got VAX-11/750's, VAX-11/730's or any VAX-11/780 (s) or UNIBUS
>    stuff/cabinets/drives/machines they are getting rid of ... Drop me a line
>    I NEED spares + serious MASS storage.

In the US, RM05's are available cheaply and probably the best bet for a massbus
based system.  If your RM03's came off a DECsystem 20, you may have to change
some jumpers for 32 vs 36 bit operation and reformat any disk packs you have.