[comp.sys.dec] Need help in building X11R4 on DEC31000, Ultrix 4.0

wjin@viking.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (06/27/91)

I have a trouble in compiling X11R4 on DEC31000 workstation running
Ultrix 4.0.  The problem is :
    When compiling server/ddx/* part, it complains that it cannot find
    'machine' directory.
    I found that it was because the source codes include <machine/pmioctl.h>,
    and so on, but those include files does not exist in /usr/include/machine.
    In fact, those exist nowhere.

Surprinsingly, CHANGE file says that it supports DEC31000.
Then, how is it possible the source codes include files which never exist
in the system ?

Do I have to fetch those include files from somewhere ?
Could anyone give me a suggestion ?

Thanks.

------
W. Jin
wjin@cs.uh.edu

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.182313.3093@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@viking.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:
>I have a trouble in compiling X11R4 on DEC31000 workstation running
>Ultrix 4.0.  The problem is :
>    When compiling server/ddx/* part, it complains that it cannot find
>    'machine' directory.
>    I found that it was because the source codes include <machine/pmioctl.h>,
>    and so on, but those include files does not exist in /usr/include/machine.
>    In fact, those exist nowhere.

This line should read (in mfbpmax_io.c):
#include <io/tc/pmioctl.h>

>Surprinsingly, CHANGE file says that it supports DEC31000.
>Then, how is it possible the source codes include files which never exist
>in the system ?

Well, the X11R4 was probably built using an older version of Ultrix.  It is
pretty common knowledge that the #include files are moving more toward the ANSI
standard.  Each new release of Ultrix seems to have new changes.

>Could anyone give me a suggestion ?

There are other problems to over come depending on your version of Ultrix.

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)          mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				            mra@searchtech.com