[rec.music.misc] Composer/musician to cover Shuttle mission under NASA Art Program

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) (09/22/88)

In article <15142@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>      For more than 25 years, American artists have chronicled the
> nation's space and aeronautics programs with works of art under
> the NASA Art Program.  The program will be taking on a new
> dimension when the Space Shuttle returns to flight.  For the
> first time, a musician will be using the musical medium to convey
> artistic impressions of the space program.
>
>      Jane Ira Bloom, a soprano saxophonist and a jazz improviser
> and composer, will experience the activities involved in the
> launch and landing of the 26th Shuttle mission.  Based on her
> impressions, she will provide a suite of musical compositions.

Although not officially commisioned, I thought this was the thrust of
Jean-Michel Jarre's work with Ron McNair.  I believe that McNair was
actually supposed to record the first saxophone solo in space to later
be used on Jarre's album.  The title of the album excapes me, but one
of them is dedicated to the Challenger crew and one track became a
video which conceptually traced the entire space program, culminating
with images of robed figures guiding Challeneger upwards in cupped
hands.  Excellent music (in my opinion) and a moving video.

--

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

warsaw@cme-durer.ARPA (Barry A. Warsaw) (09/24/88)

In article <2242@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) writes:

> Although not officially commisioned, I thought this was the thrust of
>Jean-Michel Jarre's work with Ron McNair.  I believe that McNair was
>actually supposed to record the first saxophone solo in space to later
>be used on Jarre's album.  The title of the album excapes me, but one
>of them is dedicated to the Challenger crew and one track became a
>video which conceptually traced the entire space program, culminating
>with images of robed figures guiding Challeneger upwards in cupped
>hands.  Excellent music (in my opinion) and a moving video.

The name of the album is "Rendezvous" and the song is "Rendezvous VII
(Ron's Piece)".  I've got the CD at home and the liner notes mention
that the album is dedicated to the Challanger astronauts. Also
explains about how NcNair was supposed to record the solo in space and
how hard he'd worked on it.  I agree that its very moving...

>			   -- Mark A.

-Barry

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/26/88)

In article <648@rtg.cme-durer.ARPA> warsaw@cme-durer.ARPA (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:
>In article <2242@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) writes:
>
>>I believe that McNair was
>>actually supposed to record the first saxophone solo in space to later
>>be used on Jarre's album.

Correct.

>The name of the album is "Rendezvous" and the song is "Rendezvous VII
>(Ron's Piece)"....liner notes mention
>that the album is dedicated to the Challanger astronauts.

He also played "Rendezvous" at the "Rendezvous--Houston" concert awhile
back (summer of '86, I think, but definitely after 51-L).  When he started
"Ron's Piece", Jarre said something like "I'd like to dedicate this next
song to my good friend Ron McNair."

>Also
>explains about how NcNair was supposed to record the solo in space and
>how hard he'd worked on it.

Even if the Challenger had been a successful flight, the recording would
not have been made (as I understand it).  McNair's first time up, NASA let
him take his soprano saxophone (there's a great film clip from that flight
of McNair playing his sax in orbit (zero-G?  micro-gravity?  whatever...))
but there wasn't enough room on 51-L for him take his sax a second time.
So we still wait for the first music solo from orbit....or have the
Russians already done that?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

P.S.:  countdown starts at midnight!

scb@juniper.uucp (Steve at whip it Inc.) (09/27/88)

Don't forget that about 6 years ago when this program was first getting going,
Brian Eno did a WONDERFUL ALBUM simply titled "Apollo". All ambient, but to
wit the interesting mixtures of different locations can be easily discerened.

If you ever to get to see the movie, it's really good and worthwhile to watch

steve