[rec.music.misc] Looking for sounds.

colinm@ccs.carleton.ca (Colin McFadyen) (08/22/90)

I have recently gained access to a SUN SPARCstation 1+ with a
sound chip.  It has a small library of demo sounds but I was
wondering if anyone has or knows where to get more sounds or
preferably music for this machine.  Thanks.

|Colin McFadyen              |Speed is a question of Money.|
|Systems Support             |How fast do you want to go?  |
|Carleton University         |             Mad Max.        |

nange@eb4ts2.EBay.Sun.COM (John Giannangeli) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug22.154713.15170@ccs.carleton.ca> colinm@ccs.carleton.ca (Colin McFadyen) writes:
>I have recently gained access to a SUN SPARCstation 1+ with a
>sound chip.  It has a small library of demo sounds but I was
>wondering if anyone has or knows where to get more sounds or
>preferably music for this machine.  Thanks.
>

>--
>|Colin McFadyen              |Speed is a question of Money.|
>|Systems Support             |How fast do you want to go?  |
>|Carleton University         |             Mad Max.        |

Hi,

	I have about 100 sounds in my library that I got off of a server from
Sun. I also have some Rush, Metallica, and Zappa stuff. The problem with the
soundtool is that it limits it's buffer size to 100 seconds which thereby
truncates most songs about right at the guitar solo. I've tried recompiling
the source code (/usr/demo/sound.c) but can't seem to find the proper include
files. If any of you got em', please reply. Right now I can't give you my
sounds because my mail account is seperate from the system on which I have the
sounds. Please email another request and I will return some sounds to you as
soon as possible. This will be experimental since I have'nt tried sending
sounds over the net except for ftp. Another thing to consider is that the ISDN
chip in the SPARCstation (the AM79C30) is only 8-bit samples, and has a
bandwidth specifically for voice over telephone (about 4kHz). Nothing really
sounds very good that I've heard so far. You can order an interface from Sun
that will allow you not only to play the sounds through an external
amplification system, but will also allow you to take your own samples from
mics, CD players etc. The part number is 530-1594-01.

|      ----------               ~@@@@@~    & ___      John Giannangeli      |
|     |  _   _   |             ~@@~@~@@~    ||||      Product Technician    |
|     |   |_|    |   \/  \/   \}   W   {/     |       Milpitas, California  |
| |__________________|                                x33809, x33847, x35631|
|MISSION: MERGING MUSIC AND TECHNOLOGY FOR ALL MANKIND                      |