[rec.music.makers] Metronome tick

dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois) (01/14/88)

I'm writing myself a metronome to run on my Macintosh.  Anybody
got a suggestion for a good waveform and/or envelope that will
(a) make a nice "tick" sound, and (b) cut through the sound of
instruments well.

(a) is purely subjective, I suppose.  (b) is more important, as one
wants to be able to hear the metronome without difficulty and not have
to be struggling with it and the music at the same time.  Perhaps
different waveforms cut through the sound of particular instruments
best?  The two of most immediate interest would be violin (my daughter)
and flute (me, HAH!).  Waveforms for use with other instruments are of
interest, however; perhaps others could use it and so I may post this
thing when I get done with it.  (It allows you to specify a variable
tempo so that you can use it to drill yourself on exercises (e.g.,
scales, or a difficult passage) at an increasing pace.)

Any information appreciated.

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uunet}!uwvax!rhesus!dubois     |
                ARPA: dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu              --+--

"Live by the sword, die by the sword."                              |
s/the sword/promiscuity/g

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (01/20/88)

In article <271@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu> dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois) writes:
>I'm writing myself a metronome to run on my Macintosh.  Anybody
>got a suggestion for a good waveform and/or envelope that will
>(a) make a nice "tick" sound, and (b) cut through the sound of
>instruments well.

WWV uses (or used to use) exactly 5 cycles of a 1KHz sinusoid to produce
the 'tick' you hear.

Rich

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The dis-
tinction is yours to draw...				   RSD@sei.cmu.edu