[rec.music.makers] MIDI software compatible with MacII?

taube@sm.luth.se (Lars-Gunnar Taube) (04/26/88)

Keywords:MIDI,Macintosh II,software,music

Saluton!

I would be grateful for information concerning music software
for Macintosh, that *works on a Mac II*!

Is the MOTU pair (Composer/Performer) considered to be "the best",
or is there something else greater/bigger/<insert your favourite> ?

To my great sorrow, my DMCS 2.0 doesn't work at all on my MacII. Is
there anyone who knows if Software Arts is planning to fix this
very irritating "feature"?

I'm interested in opinions, pointers, ... concerning this. A must
is that the programs can generate MIDI output. Musical notation
is a plus.

Thanks!!

--
taube@luth.UUCP                                         Lars-Gunnar Taube
taube@sm.luth.se                                        Dept of Math & CS

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) (04/29/88)

In article <1055@luth.luth.se> Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@luth.luth.se> writes:
>To my great sorrow, my DMCS 2.0 doesn't work at all on my MacII. Is
>there anyone who knows if Software Arts is planning to fix this
>very irritating "feature"?

I talked to them about this the other day, and was told that there would be
a new version out "this summer" (nothing more specific) that would work on
the Mac II. There will be an upgrade available, but they didn't know the
price.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

oskard@cme-durer.ARPA (David Oskard) (05/03/88)

[][][][][][]

	I'm far from expert (like barely acquainted with at all) in
the MIDI business, but I have a friend who had opportunity to use a
package called MIDI-paint on a Mac Plus (or regular Mac??).  He was
pretty impressed from a musician's point of view and I don't really
know enough to judge it fairly, but see for yourself.  I don't even
know if it's available for the Mac II yet either.  One of the neat
features I remember is that you can "mouse together" voices of a
piece so that you can compose without having access to
your instrument.  Of course, this is only of limited use, since
most of us interface better with our instruments than with a mouse.
So.... ask around.

good luck

				David Oskard
				National Bureau of Standards
				Gaithersburg, Md.
				dno@cme-durer.arpa
				dno%cme-durer.arpa@uunet.uu.net

"My opinions are those of the government--I AM the government!"