[rec.music.makers] TABLATURE publishing

joel@cfctech.UUCP (Joel Lessenberry) (01/03/90)

	Does anyone know of a program (preferably for IBM PC) for
	creating/printing high quality TABLATURE (not standard notation)

	Ideally this would allow for varying number of strings and
	maybe even chord diagrams.

	I lot of folk/blugrass/and even jazz types are more familier with
	TAB than standard notation, and good TAB shows things standard
	notation doesn't.

			thanks
			joel

 Joel Lessenberry, Distributed Systems | +1 313 948 3342
 joel@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 joel%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!joel        | 2777 Franklin, Sfld, MI

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/06/90)

In article <19281@cfctech.UUCP> joel@cfctech.UUCP (Joel Lessenberry) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a program (preferably for IBM PC) for
>	creating/printing high quality TABLATURE (not standard notation)
>
> [stuff deleted]
>	I lot of folk/blugrass/and even jazz types are more familier with
>	TAB than standard notation, and good TAB shows things standard
>	notation doesn't.

	-for instance?

BTW: Fredrick Noad was putting out a program for the ST that
     converted TAB to standard.

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

camilleg@microsoft.UUCP (Camille GOUDESEUNE) (01/13/90)

In article <5244@blake.acs.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>In article <19281@cfctech.UUCP> joel@cfctech.UUCP (Joel Lessenberry) writes:
>>
>>	TAB than standard notation, and good TAB shows things standard
>>	notation doesn't.
>>
>	-for instance?

I'm no guitarist, nor can I read tablature.  But I do know that the same
pitch has different timbres on different strings;  TAB shows where the
strings are stopped, which is more precise than merely what notes to play.
Unless, of course,  you put some kind of fingering on the standard notation,
which is what violin scores have.  Having strings tuned a fifth apart
instead of only fourths and thirds makes it a tad more obvious which
string to stop with a given finger to get a given pitch:  one position
will be (mildly) comfortable, the others ridiculous.
TAB probably has other glerps specific to guitars, but I'll leave their
explanation to someone else instead of trying to deduce their existence
from "I think, therefore I am", rice pudding, and income tax.

	Camille Goudeseune.

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/14/90)

In article <10251@microsoft.UUCP> camilleg@microsoft.UUCP (Camille GOUDESEUNE) writes:
>In article <5244@blake.acs.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>>In article <19281@cfctech.UUCP> joel@cfctech.UUCP (Joel Lessenberry) writes:
>>>
>>>	TAB than standard notation, and good TAB shows things standard
>>>	notation doesn't.
>>>
>>	-for instance?

le>I'm no guitarist, nor can I read tablature.  But I do know that the same
>pitch has different timbres on different strings;  TAB shows where the
>strings are stopped, which is more precise than merely what notes to play.
>Unless, of course,  you put some kind of fingering on the standard notation,
>which is what violin scores have.  Having strings tuned a fifth apart
>instead of only fourths and thirds makes it a tad more obvious which
>string to stop with a given finger to get a given pitch:  one position
>will be (mildly) comfortable, the others ridiculous.
>TAB probably has other glerps specific to guitars, but I'll leave their
>explanation to someone else instead of trying to deduce their existence
>from "I think, therefore I am", rice pudding, and income tax.
>
>	Camille Goudeseune.

The same points you make about violin hold for guitar too!

I make a living playing guitar: classical concerts, jazz and
rock studio work... recently, i did several NINTENDO commercials
in the heavy metal style.... in all cases, a piece of
music with standard notation was placed in front of me.

Most classical guitar arrangements are heavily imbued with
fingerings dictating precisely which string is to be used.. in
addition to which finger.  A very simple "standard" : an encircled
number denotes the string, a non-encircled number denotes left hand
finger... the letters p i m a denote fingers of the right hand.
Notes without fingerings are usually rather obvious.

Of course, the fingerings are the editor's/author's "arrangement".
... subject to change according to the artistry of the player.

In this case.. i see absolutely no advantage to learning to read
tablature to the exclusion of standard notation..  as far as i
can see, there is no advantage to it... and there are plenty of
disadvantages...  Most early music written for the lute has been
transcribed to standard notation.  The only music i ever see
written in tab today are heavy metal solos.. (excluding banjo and
other string instruments)... and in most cases, those solos are
also written in standard.  The advantage to reading standard is
quite obvious... there's a world of "literature" there to be
enjoyed.  ALso, if one composes, the composition may be understood
by non-tab readers.. ie.  non guitarits.

I think tab takes the same effort to learn to read as does standard.
Editing fingerings on *standard* notation seems to be cleaner than
on tab: a simple numerical change makes things very clear.  ..
on tab, however.. one has to redraw the note.. and if the music is ink...
good luck..  with standard not., multiple arrangements can be seen clearly...
often, when i am arranging a piece for classical guitar... it may be
a transcription from piano or cello .. ( try finding tab for those
instruments!) ... i will write several choices of strings above a
certain note ... the note value and pitch remain clear on the page,
penciled in above may be a few circled numbers...

i guess i am going overboard with this... but i have a
very strong aversion to guitarists learning tab.. most of those
who do learn tab.. ONLY read tab... as a result, the guitarist
is EXTREMELY limited... this deepens, spreads.. whatever the
notion that guitarists are lousy musicians..  and in fact..
this is an accurate and general assumption. Most tab-guitarists
are very naive when it comes to music literature..  and it shows
in their playing.  I encourage guitarists to learn to read
standard notation, learn to understand the very simple fingering
notation.. and get knee deep in the incredible amount of literature
out there..  from bach to be-bop and beyond!

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu