[rec.music.makers] CMU MIDI Toolkit for PC's

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (02/09/90)

Does anyone know if Roger Dannenberg's CMU Midi Toolkit has been
ported over to the PC's?  Does anyone know where it may be found via
FTP or something?  I would *greatly* appreciate a pointer to it....

~~Steve
--
/*************************************************
 *

mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) (02/11/90)

In article <abrams.90Feb8120216@cs.columbia.edu> abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:

   Does anyone know if Roger Dannenberg's CMU Midi Toolkit has been
   ported over to the PC's?  Does anyone know where it may be found via
   FTP or something?  I would *greatly* appreciate a pointer to it....

Yes, the IBM compatible version is at ucsd.edu, accessible via
anonymous ftp.  Now where can I find the amiga version???

M. Scott Wills                        arpa: mwills@rhino.harris-atd.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                    uucp: uunet!x102a!mwills
Harris Corporation                   phone: 407-729-3283
Government Aerospace Systems Div.     Bldg: 102 Room: 3426
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32902

apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com (polivka al 60047) (02/12/90)

In article <MWILLS.90Feb10183809@x102a.harris-atd.com>
mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:

  >In article <abrams.90Feb8120216@cs.columbia.edu>
  >abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:

   >   >Does anyone know if Roger Dannenberg's CMU Midi Toolkit has been
   >   >ported over to the PC's?  Does anyone know where it may be found via
   >   >FTP or something?  I would *greatly* appreciate a pointer to it....

  >Yes, the IBM compatible version is at ucsd.edu, accessible via
  >anonymous ftp.  Now where can I find the amiga version???

Likewise, where can I find the Atari ST version?

Al

Al Polivka                            arpa: apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                  usenet: uunet!x102a!apolivka
Harris Corporation                   phone: 407-729-2983
Government Aerospace Systems Div.     Bldg: 102 Room: 3433
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32902

dandb@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) (02/13/90)

And someone else writes:
>Likewise, where can I find the Atari ST version?

    I just talked to Roger, and here's the scoop.  The original version
was developed for PC's, and is still the only "official version", where
official means, I gather, that the code does what the documentation says
it does.   Also, there are several (unofficial) versions avaliable, here's
the complete list:

Machine	    Compiler		Person who did port

IBM PC	    Lattice C		Roger Dannenberg	(official version)
IBM PC	    Microsoft C 5.0	Hal Mukaino
Mac	    Light Speed		John Maloney
Amiga	    Manx		Jean-Christophe Dhellemmes

   Sorry, no Atari ST version.  There are significant differences between
each version.  I know there's a multi-tasking Amiga version; I THINK that's
the one being distributed.

   To order, make out a check out to "Carnegie-Mellon University" for $20,
and send it to

	CMU-Midi Toolkit
	Studio for Creative Inquiry
	Carnegie Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, PA 15213

   Specify which version (machine and compiler) you want.  The $20 is just to
cover CMU's cost for disks, copying documentation, mailing, etc.  The stuff is
public domain, so feel free to distribute it freely.

    In case you're wondering, "Studio for Creative Inquiry" is the new name
for CMU's "Center for Art and Technology".

	Dean

--
ARPA:       Dean.Rubine@CS.CMU.EDU
PHONE:	    412-268-2613		[ Free if you call from work ]

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (02/13/90)

In article <7949@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dandb@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) writes:
>   Specify which version (machine and compiler) you want.  The $20 is just to
>cover CMU's cost for disks, copying documentation, mailing, etc.  The stuff is
>public domain, so feel free to distribute it freely.

Is this true for the Mac and other "unofficial" versions?  If so, I
have a copy of the Mac version that I'll be glad to upload.  The
documentation I have is for the PC version, so it won't make much
difference.

Who's the contact for the archive at UCSD?

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

lowery@se-sd.NCR.COM (Tim Lowery) (02/14/90)

In article <MWILLS.90Feb10183809@x102a.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:
>In article <abrams.90Feb8120216@cs.columbia.edu> abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:
>
>   [Reference to source for Roger Dannenberg's CMU Midi Toolkit]
>
>Yes, the IBM compatible version is at ucsd.edu, accessible via
>anonymous ftp.  Now where can I find the amiga version???

Does anyone know if the archive at ucsd.edu has a mail based file transfer
server or something?  It sounds like there are some pretty useful MIDI
related files on that archive.  I can't anonymous ftp from my site because
of some annoying local configuration restrictions.  I would like to get a
current list of what's available on the archive.  Is there a way to do this?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

Tim
lowery@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

bob@lion.inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) (02/23/90)

I've just ftp'ed the CMU Midi toolkit from cmu, but two of the files
seem to be corrupt, PHASE2.C and TUNING.C. Everything else is fine. If
some kind soul out there would send me a good copy of these two files
I'd be very grateful (Microsoft C version if possible, but I'm not fussy).

Thanks

Bob.

Bob Green           Inmos Ltd, Bristol | EMail(UK) ukc!inmos!bob
---------------------------------------|     or    bob@inmos.co.uk
The opinions above are my personal     | Internet: bob@inmos.com
views and do not reflect Inmos policy. | UUCP:(US) uunet!inmos.com!bob

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (02/23/90)

In article <4169@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> bob@inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) writes:
>I've just ftp'ed the CMU Midi toolkit from cmu, but two of the files
>seem to be corrupt, PHASE2.C and TUNING.C. Everything else is fine. If
>some kind soul out there would send me a good copy of these two files
>I'd be very grateful (Microsoft C version if possible, but I'm not fussy).

>Bob Green           Inmos Ltd, Bristol | EMail(UK) ukc!inmos!bob
>---------------------------------------|     or    bob@inmos.co.uk
>The opinions above are my personal     | Internet: bob@inmos.com
>views and do not reflect Inmos policy. | UUCP:(US) uunet!inmos.com!bob

Could someone also send me the CMU Midi toolkit for IBM PC ( Microsoft C or
Turbo C or better yet Stony Brook Modula 2 version :-).  It seems that
through some complications during birth I can not ftp.

Thanks very much!
-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

bertram@kodak.UUCP (Dudley Bertram) (02/24/90)

In article <2939@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>In article <4169@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> bob@inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) writes:
>>I've just ftp'ed the CMU Midi toolkit from cmu, but two of the files

.
.
>Could someone also send me the CMU Midi toolkit for IBM PC ( Microsoft C or
>Turbo C or better yet Stony Brook Modula 2 version :-).  It seems that
>through some complications during birth I can not ftp.
>
>Thanks very much!
>-----Dale
>	Rogerson-----

I would also like a copy if anyone sends to Dale (if anyone has ported
"unofficially" to the ATARI ST I would like that instead). Thanks.

						Dudley Bertram
						...!rochester!kodak!bertram
inews fodder --------

donehoo@olivee.olivetti.com (Doyle W. Donehoo) (03/01/90)

<2939@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM>rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM(Dale Rogerson):
>In article <4169@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> bob@inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) writes:
>>I've just ftp'ed the CMU Midi toolkit from cmu, but two of the files
>>seem to be corrupt, PHASE2.C and TUNING.C. Everything else is fine.
>Could someone also send me the CMU Midi toolkit for IBM PC
>It seems that through some complications during birth I can not ftp.

Hey, me too!! Maybe the same time you mail it to him,
you could mail it to me! Please?